Advise pls how to stop a horrible habit

gpmum2

We have noticed for sometime that Bernie has had bad breath and today I think I have found the reason why. He has been eating my older dogs.....poo :eek:

I know one of the ladies at the puppy class brought this up that her dog was doing this also. Non of my other dogs had done this & I don't know of anyone else who has had this problem...so to be honest I didn't really listen to the answer.

So apart from standing over him everytime he goes outside, is he lacking in something that is making him do this???

gpmum2

Right just found all this info.

After reading this, I think it could be a, he may be hungry. (I give him a puppy tray of Butchers morning & night) very concious about over feeding, or B, he see's me clearing up after the dogs and he helping :rolleyes: not so sure about this one, not sure he is clever enoough to work that out!

Why Dogs Eat Poop: 20 Reasons

1. Your dog might be hungry. If your dog doesn't have access to food, he might eat poop.

2. Some dogs will eat poop to clean up an area like a housekeeper. This is most likely if your dog is confined to a crate or kennel, or when he's chained up or otherwise restricted. He's taking care of his space.

3. If your dog likes to carry poop, and then eat it, it could be genetics. Some dogs have instincts to carry stuff in their mouths.

4. Your dog might be eating poop because of parasites or worms. They can suck nutrients out of your dog, driving him to eat poop. It might also leave him extra hungry because of the lack of proper fuel.

5. Your dog might be eating cat poop or other animal poop to get key nutrients and minerals not available in his own food.

6. Some dogs will simply eat poop to pass the time. Dogs will eat poop because they are bored or lonely. It can be a sign of neglect.

7. Your dog might eat poop because he's anxious, nervous or otherwise upset. Stress will drive animals to do odd things.

8. Some dogs will eat poop to hide the evidence. If you punish your dog for pooping, he might eat it to stop you from getting angry.

9. If your dog has puppies, she might eat puppy poop. This is an instinct to hide the poop from predators. Poop is evidence. Getting ride of it keeps her puppies safe.

10. Some young dogs and puppies will eat poop as a novelty. That is, they'll eat poop as an experiment. They don't know better.

11. If your dog watches you pick up poop, he might learn to do the same. This is called allelomimetic behavior. Your dog observes you and learns from you, by putting the poop in his mouth you put poop in a bag.

12. Your dog might see others dogs eating poop. From this, they learn to eat poop too.

13. Many dogs simply like the taste of poop. This obviously doesn't make sense to dog owners but that's irrelevant. Some dog like to eat it and that's that. It's warm, moist, and very much like what your dog was given as a very young puppy.

14. If your dog food lacks key nutrients, he might eat poop. Your dog is trying to get "food" with nutrients any way possible, even from his own poop.

15. Sometimes dog poop seems like dog food. This can happen when dog food is low quality and includes materials that are easily passed and not absorbed by your dog. When the dog poops, it seems to be very much like the food he just consumed!

16. In some cases, dogs will eat poop if they are given too much food. This is especially true if your dog's diet is high in fat.

17. Some dogs will eat poop to gain attention. Many dog owners get very upset when their dog eats poop, which means the dog gets attention. This is a wonderful opportunity for your dog to interact with you, although it is because of negative attention.

18. It is possible that some dogs will eat the poop of other, more dominant dogs. Your dog might be more submissive than other dogs, resulting in strange poop eating behavior. This seems to occur more in households with multiple dogs where dominance and submission is a factor. Obviously this doesn't explain much about dogs eating cat poop or other animal poop.

19. It is possible that your dog wants to eat more than one time per day. If you only feed your dog once per day, and your dog eats poop, it could be an indication they want to eat more frequently.

20. In some cases, your dog will eat poop by accident. Dogs are curious and will try to eat almost anything, including poop. Dogs explore the world through taste and smell, much more than humans.

So, now you have seen 20 reasons why dogs eat poop. It could be a signal for higher quality food, more food, less food, or more frequent meals. It could be related to your dog’s desire for more attention and interaction. Your dog might be eating poop out of instinct whereas in other cases it might a learned behavior from you or by watching other dogs.

Cell

I find Leo will eat poop when his diet has been restricted because recently had a stomach upset. When we first got him (9 months old) he also ate poop and was a bit emaciated.
When he gets enough food and his digestives are working fine he will only go for cat poop... but I guess this is a bit of a doggie delicacy.
If your not having weight or health (worms etc) issues maybe consider feeding a bit more, he could be hungry. lol But cut back if it doesn't help and he starts gaining too much weight.

gpmum2

When I looked on line it did actually have a medical name!!

Seeing Bernie had the snip last week & the vet didn't mention his weight, so I amsuming that is ok. He has recently been wormed not due again until 31st Dec, I have increased his food :)

Fingers crossed this will sort it out.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Eating poop is gross, but it will not harm him. The best thing you can do is ALWAYS pick up after your dogs. Go out with them pick up, then let Bernie play. He may grow out of it, or he may forget about it after not having access to it for awhile. I've known a few that did this... thankfully, none of mine ever have, but then, I always go out eith my dogs and pick up after them, I have to, i live in a condo :)

gpmum2

We trained Buzz to use the end of our large garden, which is not lit at night. So I only clear up after breakfast. I had sectioned off a garden at the side of the house just for Bernie, but he wont use that!

I think for the time being Bernie will have to get use to using the side garden. I have now started feeding him a little more. I am hoping that may help as well.

gpmum2

I am still not sure what the reason was, but as soon as Buzz passed away Bernie stopped doing it...He never did it with other dogs poop.

He now uses the side garden only :) Now finally fully house trained as well....only took until his 1st birthday. Never had a dog that took soo long :cool: