10 month old will not poop outside in snow

katie17moore

Hello,

I have a 10 month old female dachshund who is great about going pee outside but has always been a little stubborn with going poop outside. But with the snow now on the ground she has not pooped outside once. I take her out every morning as soon as we wake up and everytime she looks like she is about to go poop but she will not poop outside when I take her outside.
We are outside for a long time before she starts going to the door and we make multiple trips a day (usually between 10-15). I have tried putting her poop outside and having her smell it and say this is a good place to poop but she wants nothing to do with it. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions?

Penny

Someone told me this little trick. When you need to get out the door and they aren't pooping !!! you can take a match, the paper kind, not the wooden matches, tear one off the bundle, and slide the non-sulfur end gently into the poop hole. This little soft papery thing in their butt makes them push and hopefully poop will come out. The dog is not hurt in any way, it just gives them a sensation that something is back there. Hope that trick works for you! Let us know. lol

sherlock

If you take her out on a regular schedule, sooner or later she'll have to go. We recently had a bunch of ice, and Watson refused to poop for over 24 hours. Finally he did cause he had to go so bad.

jarredfeet

Penny, I heard about that too before that sounds like a good one to try as suppository for dog. Katie hope your little girl would learn to go soon what ever the weather.

sherlock

He finally did! I think the main issue was that there was several inches of ice, so he couldn't sniff anything to see if it was the "right" place to go.

Barron

Why go outside in the snow? Indoor dog toilet is better option

Hello,

I have a 10 month old female dachshund who is great about going pee outside but has always been a little stubborn with going poop outside. But with the snow now on the ground she has not pooped outside once. I take her out every morning as soon as we wake up and everytime she looks like she is about to go poop but she will not poop outside when I take her outside.
We are outside for a long time before she starts going to the door and we make multiple trips a day (usually between 10-15). I have tried putting her poop outside and having her smell it and say this is a good place to poop but she wants nothing to do with it. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions?
Burr, here is what Barron does. He's so close the the ground, his privates dragged in the snow. Poor baby, I don't blame him. He has his Piddle Place in the kitchen corner.

GJBain

Our 14 week old female Brandy is good about going in the snow. She was born in Canada so I think that has helped. She was born November 8th 2014 so she does not know what warm weather is like yet.

Olivers_mom

Oliver hated going out in the snow until we bought him some boots. In Colorado, we can get snow well into April and sometimes May. Last spring, we had a foot of snow May 1st. These were a lifesaver!