Which dog food is the best

mjknable88

I have been having my newest doxie having to go to the bathroom quite often and was told to change to a dog food that has more fiber and less fiber. Seph gave a wonderful website but there are so many. Wanted to know which ones are as good as they say they are.

nola

Can't tell you which food is "best", because best means it works good for your dog. However all of these are good foods, and I tried most of them with Nola before switching her to home cooked.
Orijen (sp?)
Acana (sp again?)
Blue Buffalo
Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free
Natural Balance
Nature's Recipe
AvoDerm
Innova
Evo (can be too rich for some dogs)
Merrick

Basically, you want to avoid foods that contain corn, by-products, unnamed meat meal, digest, ect and you want meat to be the first (and preferably, second, third and fourth) ingredient

mjknable88

The lady who had molly ( my second doxie) cooked her meals too. What is the benefit of cooking food for them? Would it have to be freshly cooked everyday?

nola

The lady who had molly ( my second doxie) cooked her meals too. What is the benefit of cooking food for them? Would it have to be freshly cooked everyday?
Benefits like knowing exactly what is going into your dog and exactly how it's prepared, being able to tailor it exactly to your dog, it's cheaper than feeding a high quality kibble and my dog looks fantastic. Benefits for her include:
Shining, sleek coat
Clean teeth
Clear eyes
She's only been sick once in the two years I've had her
No gas
Small poop with little smell
Incredible muscle ton
Good weight
Better focus
Better energy
Just to name a few.

No, you don't have to make it every day. I make it once or twice a week, and occasionally once a month and freeze it

I like the site Steph recommended too. We only feed 4 or 5-star dry kibble from the list. (I'm trying to find out how to tell exactly where the products are made.)

Our pup came to us on Kibble 'n Bits and he was skinny and not thriving.
The kids who had him picked the cheapest thing in the grocery store, and as college students they probably weren't eating much better themselves!

I try to mix in some home-cooked once in awhile. In addition, Milo stays close to me in the kitchen as I am a messy cook and on a lucky day for the dog a whole meatball or an egg might hit the floor...

mjknable88

My wire haired use to eat kibbles n bits and he loves it and he weighs around 14 lbs. I know as humans every dog is different and what they need differ. I plan on trading out Dog Chow to Blue Buffalo Grain Free

Noodles~Mom

If you go to this website...
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

It will tell you what food is rated on a I think 6 star rating. I know kibbles and bits is a 1 star food... very bad food, might as well feed cardboard!!!

I feed Acana Grasslands Grain Free... Noods and my other poocher do great on it.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I prefer to feed foods that are grain free and made by companies that manufacture in their own plant and only makes dog food... this narrows things down considerably. I feed Champion Pet foods (Orijen, Acana) Horizon Pet Foods (Horizon Legacy, Horizon Amicus) and a few others I cant remember off the top of my head :)