Color/pattern shift?

WeinerWrangler

My 4 y.o. tweenie black and tan, Oscar has "non-regulation" coloring on his head. When we got him as a 6 week old puppy his black mask looked normal, but within 5 months it "slid" back.. now his head and ears are tan, with a faint pattern left from the mask. The black on his legs retreated as well. He is otherwise a perfectly normal "pet quality" purebred.

Has anyone ever seen this before or know why it happened?

Attachments

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I've seen this in Black and tan puppies off the reserve, they start out with very typical black and tan markings, but as they grow up, they end up with a brown head.. It shouldn't happen in a Dachshund though, that's really not typical, but sometimes, weird things happen. He's very cute!

WeinerWrangler

Thanks, Sara! Naturally, I think he is the cutest, smartest and most loveable doxie in the world... just getting tired of hearing he's not a "proper dachshund"!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Thanks, Sara! Naturally, I think he is the cutest, smartest and most loveable doxie in the world... just getting tired of hearing he's not a "proper dachshund"!
HA! try having mostly white ones... I get told all the time that mine must be crossed with JRT's! (not that JRT's have the merle colour in the breed but hey, it's spots right? LOL) People are idiots, and Doxies come in all kinds of colours!

ktshickle

DoxieLover
He does look like a mix sort of. But only to someone who doesnt own one i'd guess. People ask me all the time what mix mine is. Lol and he's just a long hair dapple. I didnt know anything about doxies when i got him. But it was clear to me now hes full breed. I dont have papers because he was in need of a home and i didnt really care if he was mix or not. Take a look at my pics and let me know what you think. I'm always open to hear what anyone has to say!

dgc333

HA! try having mostly white ones... I get told all the time that mine must be crossed with JRT's! (not that JRT's have the merle colour in the breed but hey, it's spots right? LOL) People are idiots, and Doxies come in all kinds of colours!
Until I got Oscar I only thought Doxies came in black & tan or brown and were all smooth hair. Even four years later I have never seen any other colors other than in pictures. I have seen long hair in the mentioned colors but have never seen a wire hair at all.

At least in my part of the country you do not see the other markings and colors so it is quite nature for some one to think they are a mixed breed.

My dog Frazer is a mixed breed rescue from St. Croix, USVI. When folks see him without Oscar they think he is at least part Doxie (he may be) but when he is with Oscar Doxie is never mentioned. So the context which you see a dog can influence what you think.

Attachments

WeinerWrangler

... But it was clear to me now hes full breed. I dont have papers because he was in need of a home and i didnt really care if he was mix or not. Take a look at my pics and let me know what you think. I'm always open to hear what anyone has to say!
He's definitely a doxie! Very handsome, especially in his hat!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Until I got Oscar I only thought Doxies came in black & tan or brown and were all smooth hair. Even four years later I have never seen any other colors other than in pictures. I have seen long hair in the mentioned colors but have never seen a wire hair at all.

At least in my part of the country you do not see the other markings and colors so it is quite nature for some one to think they are a mixed breed.
I got told by a breeder... here I have to quote it "I've been breeding Dachshunds for 30 years and I've NEVER seen that colour, they HAVE to be a mix" To which I said to her "They are Double Dapples, they come from people breeding 2 dapples together, but you dont see them often because breeders kill them" then she said "Well, I NEVER got into Dapples!"

Seriously? if you know the breed that well, wouldn't you know everything about the breed? and wouldn't you be able to tell a purebred Doxie regardless of the colour? A breeder who has been breeding for 30 years should know that they come in all colours, and should be able to recognize the breed!

but maybe that's just me?