caution in climbing stairs

Rhondo's Mom

My almost 5 month old buddy has started to climb the stairs. Is this safe for this breed? Should I really try to curb his climbing and jumping?

Eggberts

Hi Rondo's Mum,

Our 5 month old has just mastered the stairs too and though she has no trouble, everything you read advises you to be cautious of stairs. It is a worry. It would be great if someone could offer the wealth of their experience.

Thank you

WendyK

Hi Rondo's Mum,

Our 5 month old has just mastered the stairs too and though she has no trouble, everything you read advises you to be cautious of stairs. It is a worry. It would be great if someone could offer the wealth of their experience.

Thank you
I am confused as to why you think it is dangerous for them to climb stairs? I have had dachshunds for 23 years and have never had a problem with any of them climbing stairs! The only hurdle they have to get over is when they start to get longer as puppies to learn to navigate them, it's a shame for them but quite amusing at times. I have 2 standard long hair and they have to climb them in one go without stopping. I also have a minature smooth, I won't let her jump down from the sofa onto the hard floor but that is purely because of the impact it has on her joints. They are very robust wee souls. Hope this reassures you.

Wendy :)

Eliza Meryl

Wendy,

Most people are concerned about this because walking up and down stairs is actually very straining on a dachshunds back. They, as you probably know, have extremely fragile backs. They can break their backs just from turning a corner too quickly. The up and down motion on their spines caused by going up and down the stairs can be very damaging to their backs. While most Doxies have no problem with it, it isn't uncommon for one to seriously injur themselves from something as simple as using the stairs. Some people have special ramps installed for their doxies, but seeing as how they'll probably still use the stairs anyway, my suggestion for anyone worried about this, would be to install baby gates at the top and bottom of the stairs, and simply help your dachshund up or down the steps when need be.

I will say though, that both my dachshunds do use the stairs from time to time, but if im right there, I'll pick them up and save them the trouble :)

heidithedachshund

Not the best idea to let them climb stairs. Because they have such long backs, they're more prone to back problems. So if they climb up a couple of times, no biggie. But don't let yours do so multiple times a day. If you want them to come upstairs or downstairs with you it's best to carry them. A good way from blocking the stairs is a gate. My sister uses our old baby gate to block Heidi from going into her room and if you have an old baby gate you could use it to prevent them from going upstairs. Even better, buy a dog gate. We got one to block certain areas of the house because the baby gate didn't have a door and the dog gate does (and a little dog door incase you want to allow access).

As for small stairs (like three on a stoop), I wouldn't worry. Just make sure yours is getting a good diet and a good amount of exercise and just let him know that stairs (like going to the bathroom in the house and chewing up stuff) is a bad habit and keep an eye out for the behavior so you know when to say no.

wecannotknow

Out of 3 dachshunds, two were jumpers/climbers and one was a lazybones. Sadly the two climbers developed severe calcification in their spines which became very fragile. Lazybones, bless her, had no such problems. A small sample I know but still somewhat telling.

gpmum2

My 5 month old climbs the stairs at weekends when he comes into our bed for a couple of hours (as he wakes at 6.30am which is our weekday getting uptime). But really doesn't have any idea at getting down at the moment, so gets carried down. We use a stair gate to stop him going up unsupervised.

But I do have concerns for next year when he will be about 15 mths old when my mum will have him whilst we go on holiday. As she hasn't got any means of fixing a stairgate and as she is 78yrs I dont want her picking him up to go up & down stairs and she doesn't have any bannisters to hold onto. I have been reading this thread with interest,,to see whether I should let her have him because of the stair issue. Still just as confused :s

whitty1

My dachs didn't even attempt climing stairs until he was over a year old. Probably because I was always there to cart him up and down! However, now he will go up the stairs quite happily. If I catch him first I'll still carry him to save him the bother. But if not, he's generally fine. However, he will not attempt to go down the stairs as we live in a victorian house and the stairs are steep. My mum's stairs are much shallower and wider and he will go down those if he gets the chance. He can't jump on the furniture and I won't let him jump down.

The way I look at it is if you can limit it, then do. No point in risking trouble if you don't have to.:)

koshka

Super Moderator
hi,
i struggle with this as well.
when i first got the puppies my vet said to be very careful....not let them jump on or off the couch, bed...or go up and down the stairs.
well....we bot them a foot stool for the couch so that the height was minimal. Sometimes they continue to jump off the couch.
As for the stairs...they do go up the stairs but do not go down. We always carry them down the stairs.
My husband read..that the problem with their backs is that it is hereditary. They either carry the problem with their spine or they dont.A friend of mine has had many doxies and they went on and off the couch and up and down the stairs with no problems. On the other hand...i know of others that have had problems with the stairs and stuff.
I am not sure what to do and think that I may contact another vet and get a second opinion. Hubby and I are thinking that maybe we will limit them to not going up the stairs either.
Ill keep you posted on what I find out...and if you have any further information along the way. Let me know.
I love these dogs sooo much it would break my heart if anything hurt them.

Kosh

Scrumpy

My almost 5 month old buddy has started to climb the stairs. Is this safe for this breed? Should I really try to curb his climbing and jumping?
My personal experience is that mine was fine as long as he was going upstairs, but suffered muscle strain when he started coming down - which makes sense because gravity causes the spine to curve in a completely unnatural way on the descent. I've managed to train him to not come down on his own now. I'd certainly go along with those who err on the side of caution and carry their dachshunds up and down stairs.

koshka

Super Moderator
Great information and input......think i am off to get a baby gate! i will let you know how it goes!
living in a town house with quite a few stairs..about 16..i think it is best that they neighther go up or down the stairs.
my heart would break if anything happened to them!

gpmum2

Great information and input......think i am off to get a baby gate! i will let you know how it goes!
living in a town house with quite a few stairs..about 16..i think it is best that they neighther go up or down the stairs.
my heart would break if anything happened to them!
My advice...get one that is easy to open one handed, as I have them at the bottom of the stairs and into the kitchen...stair one is easy but the kitchen, there must be some very bright kids out there to undo this one :mad: