Learning and Correcting Dog Behavior

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
The dogtipper blog is cool, thanks for that. But I hesitate to buy anything that says "quick and easy fix" when it comes to dog training and rehabbing problem behaviours... it usually comes with some sort of correctional collar and is based on intimidation and corrections (this includes Cesar's methods)

You're better off reading "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor, and "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons. All are humane methods, no harsh corrections or outdated "Pack Theory"

sdw1961

DeafDogs said:
All are humane methods, no harsh corrections or outdated "Pack Theory"
Outdated "Pack Theory"? I'm not familiar with this. Can you give me more information or is the information elsewhere in the forum?

Thanks,
Sandra

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
It has been scientifically proven that the "Pack Theory" and "Dominance" is, to be frank, a load of "bunk".

Why Won't Dominance Die? | Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors

Dogs are not wolves, they haven't been wolves for as long as we've been human (there is growing evidence that dogs evolved alongside humans 135 000 years ago, which is another topic in and of itself... and really cool stuff!) therefore they need not be treated as such. Also the pack model has been proven wrong in the wolf pack as well. There is not one "Dominant" wolf and everyone follows that wolf. Wolf packs are usually a family group, consisting of mother, father and pups from several litters. and everyone works for the whole group, there is no tyrranical leader that keeps everyone in line.

I give my dogs rules to follow, but I dont use punishment or corrections. I ignore bad behaviour, reward good behaviour, and I have 5 well behaved dogs, I dont need to correct them, I dont give leash pups, I dont use correctional collars, I make it easy for my dogs to follow the rules, and make myself completely understood to them. I want a relationship with my dogs that's built on trust, not force. And my dogs thank me for it.

sdw1961

Very interesting. I've always been a softy at heart. I've never followed the "Pack Theory" and have treated my furkids with love and kindness. I've never withheld food from them before I eat and they sleep in the bed with me and never, ever have used aggressive punishment on them.

After reading different articles about dog behavior and the "Pack Theory" I began to doubt my dog handling abilities :eek: I thought that I just ended up with exceptionally good dogs of their own choice and that the Good Lord was watching out for our welfare as a family.

Anyways, maybe I should quit reading all this stuff since what I have been doing all my life seems to be working. After-all, it makes perfectly good sense that our furkids are similar to our human kids and the mothering instinct seems to work out for both groups of kids.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I'm reading a fascinating book right now called "The Dog Vinchi Code" He has a very unique, common sense approach to training... I'm really appreciating it, and would recommend the read along with the other books I recommended earlier.

sdw1961

DeafDogs said:
You're better off reading "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, "Reaching the Animal Mind" by Karen Pryor, and "Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" by Emma Parsons. All are humane methods, no harsh corrections or outdated "Pack Theory"
Among the books that you recommended, which book should I start with?

I don't have even the slightest problem with my two well-behaved angels, but I would like to learn more about...
  • How Canines think and perceive things
  • Recognizing and understanding body language
  • How to properly train
  • How to deal with unwanted behavior

It has been suggested to me that I also read the book “The Other End of the Leash” by Patricia McConnell. Are you familiar with this book and if so what are your thoughts on it?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Among the books that you recommended, which book should I start with?

I don't have even the slightest problem with my two well-behaved angels, but I would like to learn more about...
  • How Canines think and perceive things
  • Recognizing and understanding body language
  • How to properly train
  • How to deal with unwanted behavior

It has been suggested to me that I also read the book “The Other End of the Leash” by Patricia McConnell. Are you familiar with this book and if so what are your thoughts on it?
I've heard people talk about that book, though I've never read it, so I'm not sure about it.

"Reaching the Animal Mind" is about Clicker training. How, and why it works, and the science behind it. "The Dog Vinci Code" is a great training book, as well as a manual on changing unwanted behaviour. " How to Speak Dog" by Dr. Stanley Coren is a fantastic body language book, as well as understanding dogs. "Merle's Door" is a fantastic book about the life of one dog, and about achieving true understanding and socialization... It also has alot of science in it.