Potty training- need help!

vswydysh

Hi,
I have a male mini doxie and got him at 8 weeks old. He is 11 weeks old now and have been very diligent in crating, bringing him outside to pee and poo and also using a potty box with fake grass. I don't leave him run through the house without watching him, and I put him in a penned area with his potty box when I cannot watch him. He uses the box maybe 50 percent of the time without my help, but usually pees on the floor of the entrance of the box. Has anyone used a fake grass potty box along with going outdoors successfully? I have heard that doxies are difficult to housebreak. Any suggestions or comments on the process/

dellehuston

My little guy is 11 weeks today. When we got him he was partial crate trained. Once he got him home the crate and pop-up kennel became a form of torture he thinks, and refused to be caged up. Rocky will howls for hours and soil all over everything inside. As far as the house goes, will not accept the outdoors as his restroom. He will hold it the whole time we're outdoors. We're pretty good about keeping him in our sights but he still gets us. I know i'm not offering any help to you I am so frustrated with this process and looking for more tips and suggestions

Barron

Hi,
I have a male mini doxie and got him at 8 weeks old. He is 11 weeks old now and have been very diligent in crating, bringing him outside to pee and poo and also using a potty box with fake grass. I don't leave him run through the house without watching him, and I put him in a penned area with his potty box when I cannot watch him. He uses the box maybe 50 percent of the time without my help, but usually pees on the floor of the entrance of the box. Has anyone used a fake grass potty box along with going outdoors successfully? I have heard that doxies are difficult to housebreak. Any suggestions or comments on the process/
Greetings,
We use the piddle place that's a photo of my dogs using it. My dogs were using puppy pads, and a fake grass that held the urine and odor. When it got smelly, they would pee next to it. Maybe the fake grass does not drain well? Also to encourage the dogs not to "miss" I called them for training. They told me to that within the crated area, use the backsplash that came with the unit, and place plants on the other side. This limited their space so once they walked onto the unit, they would have to walk out the front to change their mind. My dogs would pee in the bushes outside, so they really liked this. It made them feel they were still going in the bushes. My dogs are walked when I am home, and use the piddle place when I am at work. What kind of fake grass are you using?
Hope this helps.

Barron

dog potty training ...hope it helps

My little guy is 11 weeks today. When we got him he was partial crate trained. Once he got him home the crate and pop-up kennel became a form of torture he thinks, and refused to be caged up. Rocky will howls for hours and soil all over everything inside. As far as the house goes, will not accept the outdoors as his restroom. He will hold it the whole time we're outdoors. We're pretty good about keeping him in our sights but he still gets us. I know i'm not offering any help to you I am so frustrated with this process and looking for more tips and suggestions
I'm sorry, I thought I was responding to you here, but I'm an old fart, and these computer things confuse me : )

My Barron hates his crate too. I solved this by having the crate open to a play fenced area I bought at walmart (don't need to put a link to walmart, you know) So the setup is a crate that is always opened to a 8 foot fenced area. Barron can see me from there, so he is okay. in that area, I have his water, chew toys, and the piddle place. My dog is free to go into his crate to take nap, but has a play area an his dog toilet in the fenced area. Dogs want to be clean, and maybe we need to limit your dogs freedom to a more confined area, but not make it an unpleasant place. I used to use my laundry room, but Barron would get angry because he could not see me, and he would act out the same as yours...what a mess.

There are really good training instructions from all kinds of people from Dave the Dog Dude on dogtoilettraining.com
They also welcome your feedback as to what works for you. everyone sort of shares there.
Let us know what happens, paws crossed. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.