Potty Training an 8 month old

autumn

Hi All,
My 8 month old female copper smooth doxie learned to go to the bathroom on pee pads as we live in an apartment with no adjoining yard. Now, as she's older, we want her to go outside (and slowly remove the pads). Any advice how to do this? She does know how to go outside, but we want to train her to only go outside, and only use the pads in an emergency. We do not crate her as my husband is usually home during the day.

Sassy Doxie Lover

If you have her on a feeding and water schedule it's all about timing. During the day have your husband keep her where he can see her at all times...when she starts circling take her outside immediately til she goes. Give her an extra 10-15 minutes then bring her back in. Through a set routine, praise, and patience she'll get it they're really smart :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Barron

Housebreaking issues no more

Hi All,
My 8 month old female copper smooth doxie learned to go to the bathroom on pee pads as we live in an apartment with no adjoining yard. Now, as she's older, we want her to go outside (and slowly remove the pads). Any advice how to do this? She does know how to go outside, but we want to train her to only go outside, and only use the pads in an emergency. We do not crate her as my husband is usually home during the day.
I might recommend that you try an indoor dog toilet Piddle Place Home Page - Piddle Place
We had the same problem, and solved it with a piddle place, our vet recommended this. As he told us, why should a dog not be allowed the same comfort we have, to use the bathroom when we nature calls? Barron can now relieve himself when we are not home, and he goes for a walk as soon as we get home from work.
We looked at about 7 different systems, and found this one to be the best. It was simple to train barron, the unit is odor free, has built in handles, and is very well built. To clean it, once a week just take it to your bathroom and open a valve. Fantastic!
2.jpg