weight gain and hair growth after neuter

jsbart

I'm new to this forum but have had dachshunds since 1978. Right now I have two doxies one short haired black boy and one long haired red boy. The red one is Chester and he's 13 years old. A couple of years ago the vet discovered a problem with his testicles and we immediately had him neutered. Of course, my first fear was that it was cancer but it wasn't. About 6 months after the surgery he began to put on weight and eventually went from 14 lbs. to about 23 lbs. His hair also began to grow and now I have to trim him periodically or he will look like a lion. At first I tried putting him on a diet although he's never been a big eater like my other doxie. Since it didn't help I didn't continue it. He still gets around good but can't jump on chairs etc. and I have made him a doggie ramp so he can come up the steps easier. I know the weight gain is kind of normal but I just wondered if anyone else had had their dog neutered and had it affect their hair growth. I love my Chester boy and hate that he's gained so much weight and just hope he doesn't have back problems from it.