Updates :) With some pictures!

Peanut

So, we moved into a much better dog-friendly house. With lack of internet, I fell behind. Our new puppy is now 11 weeks old, and finally came out of her shell. She still doesn't have a problem sleeping on the floor, but there are times that she just wants to cuddle, finally!! I had never had such an independent dachshund, it took a bit of getting used to. Also the only dachshund I've had that doesn't have separation anxiety. Our older two, Peanut and Nemo, have to stay in the kennel while we're gone, while Sophie (yes, she finally got a name! Lol) gets free roam of the house already. She's been fantastic!! Anyway, I'm still working with them, of course. Peanut is BACK in heat after JUST having a false pregnancy, so she's a bit of a pain to work with right now. Nemo is more stubborn than ever. Sophie has learned sit, and is working on stacking. The move was a bit of a transition for the puppies, too. We're all settling in nicely, though. Excited to start a new chapter with our babies.

Now I can stop rambling.. Here's the pictures!!

Peanut:

Nemo:

Sophie(Whom which is turning out very nicely!):

Nell

Lovely pictures, so pleased the new puppy has settled in so well and I hope you enjoy the new house.

Sorry to hear Peanut has had a false pregnancy, I once had a Pointer bitch who did this quite regularly and she got so distressed and upset. I did eventually breed from her but even this was a nightmare. She gave birth to 10 healthy live puppies, suckled all of them then the 11th pup was still born and she got so distressed she refused to feed the other 10! my vet said I would never cope and wanted to put some of the pups down....no way! we eventually hand reared 10 healthy puppies (two hour feeds day and night!). Needless to say I never bred from her again but we kept one of her daughters and mother and daughter ended up the very best of friends.

Sounds daft but what is "stacking"? I struggle with some words on this site as often we may use a different word and it gets a bit confusing lol!

Peanut

We are all enjoying the new house. Much more space, no issues with the landlord and our pets. We aren't continuously having to watch our backs. Our last place was just ridiculous.

I couldn't imagine hand rearing 10 puppies! I had to bottle feed ONE, and that was enough for me. Our vet recommended letting Peanut have a litter, but we want to do a final checkup before we surely decide on it. She swelled up, got milk, she even tried letting our new puppy nurse on her. It lasted about 12 weeks or so. We were convinced she got pregnant somehow. Our old vet tried getting us to do an emergency spay, but we switched vets, and this vet recommends letting her have a litter, or she'll be at risk for pyometra if she continues to have such severe false pregnancies.. So, we have a few options to consider. We're not for sure on anything just yet.

Stacking is getting them to stand squarely and still. Peanut has been pretty good at it (the above pictures of Peanut & Sophie are a good reference, though neither have it fully down). Great for if you want to get them into showing, or even if you want them to stand still, lol. I'm not going to be able to show Peanut with conformation, but I'm hopeful for Sophie. Either way, I'm working with them just so that they have that obedience training as well. I've found that starting here makes everything else a little bit easier. So, stacking it is. :)

Nell

Stacking is getting them to stand squarely and still. QUOTE]

Thank you, I too usually start early with my pups to get them to stand squarely, its good training. I just hadn't heard it called that before!

My six month old is really good at it and will stand perfectly still, especially if she thinks you have food in your hand and she is likely to get a bit!

I may have trouble for the show ring though as when the judge runs his hand over her top line I know she is going to back off because she is very wary of being touched by strangers. I am working on it though and hope she will build in confidence with time. At the end of the day showing with Connie will only be for fun so it wont be the end of the world if its not for her, she will still be my princess whatever.

crystalclear1027

WOW! Really great pictures, they all have that dachshund face that I love. You seem to have 3 great little dogs. Much luck with them all!!

Peanut

My six month old is really good at it and will stand perfectly still, especially if she thinks you have food in your hand and she is likely to get a bit!

I may have trouble for the show ring though as when the judge runs his hand over her top line I know she is going to back off because she is very wary of being touched by strangers. I am working on it though and hope she will build in confidence with time. At the end of the day showing with Connie will only be for fun so it wont be the end of the world if its not for her, she will still be my princess whatever.
I know what you mean, I can easily register Peanut with CKC, but not many people think much of them, seeing as you can register anything, including mutts (nothing wrong with mutts, but I would hate to get into it for nothing). Peanut is also wary of strangers, we're trying to socialize her more, but it's harder to socialize the older they get, not impossible, but it's been real fun, lol. She's the most intelligent of the three right now, so I am bummed about her not being registered. But, she makes for an amazing pet, so all is good!

Nemo has what people call "Muddy points" which I was told are frowned upon. His tan markings have started to disappear over time, almost making him look solid black. (not quite, but they're still fading). He lost his points on his chest, and the rest are still slowly diminishing.

So far, we're on target with Sophie. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Either way, I just want them all to have some training, whether for fun or showing, it's always nice! I do believe it was Penny on this forum that told me to teach Peanut the "Look at me" command, and it's just fantastic at letting me get some decent pictures.

Peanut

WOW! Really great pictures, they all have that dachshund face that I love. You seem to have 3 great little dogs. Much luck with them all!!
Thank you! I love them all so very much. My Fiance always asks why I need three. Well, to be honest, I would have 10 if I could. Three is getting to the point where it's hard to work with them all separately. Especially being that they are all only inside dogs. A lot of chaos, but we love it!!

Peanut

I wish my Piper would find some independence. Your new puppy is beautiful I love her coloring.
Now that I have her, I wish I would have found her first, lol. I have never owned or known of such an independent Dachshund! Peanut and Nemo think they have to be attached to us. It's sad that I can't even use the bathroom without a dachshund following me! Lol. That's one reason Peanut and Nemo have to be kenneled when we leave. If we aren't around, they get a bit destructive, scratching doors, biting wood trimming, chewing up our things.. You name it, they'll get it. Sophie, on the other hand, we have to leave a potty pad out, but she either sleeps the whole time, or plays with her toys. I do believe it does also have to do with the fact that as puppies, Peanut and Nemo went everywhere with us because I didn't trust the people at our old apartment. Now at the house we're in, It's perfectly fine for them all to stay home. So, Sophie may go places with us, but it's not near as often. She's more used to being left alone.

And, Thank you. We were told she was Sable - even registered as Sable.. However, she's just a shaded red. Still just as beautiful, though :) We love her!

Nell

I know what you mean, I can easily register Peanut with CKC, but not many people think much of them, seeing as you can register anything, including mutts (nothing wrong with mutts, but I would hate to get into it for nothing). Peanut is also wary of strangers, we're trying to socialize her more, but it's harder to socialize the older they get, not impossible, but it's been real fun, lol. She's the most intelligent of the three right now, so I am bummed about her not being registered. But, she makes for an amazing pet, so all is good!

Nemo has what people call "Muddy points" which I was told are frowned upon. His tan markings have started to disappear over time, almost making him look solid black. (not quite, but they're still fading). He lost his points on his chest, and the rest are still slowly diminishing.

So far, we're on target with Sophie. So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
I am in the same situation Connie is registered with the Kennel Club so I am able to show her but the brown nose is frowned on. Interestingly although she is shy with strangers she too is easily one of the most intelligent dogs I have owned. I bought her mainly because I was so impressed with her parents intelligence and conformation etc. Right now I am thinking to give agility a go as she really listens and picks things up really quickly.

Good luck with Sophie though she looks lovely!