two's company??

WelshSelsig

hi everyone
i'm new here. i have an 18month old miniature dachshund named bernie whom i absolutely adore! i think this goes both ways as he doesn't like to be on his own very much. he has always been a very well behaved dog (apart from taking some time to get into toilet habits outside) but he is very clingy. i was wondering about having another? if they would be be good company?
look forward to hearing from you all :)

crystalclear1027

That is exactly what we did. Augie is an 8 month old mini doxi male. We have a choc lab that he loves, but she is really too big to really play with him, so we just got another one this past Wednesday and it was the best decision we have ever made! It has only been two days and they are best friends. She will be 6 mos on june 11. They keep each other occupied, nap together, eat, play and give us a little break at the same time. His clingyness is just the dachshund loyalty to you. He loves you so much and wants to be with you every minute.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yup, Dachshunds are very much "velcro" dogs. I also have 2, but they aren't buddies. Boo doesn't like Mouse much, but they get along fine. But, both of them are buddies with my other, bigger dog, Oliver, and Mouse also LOVES the cat I just adopted (as does Oliver). But, I think 2 dogs are good company for eachother, as long as they are a good match :)

It didn't take long to realize that PD needed a dog companion. When I couldn't walk across the room with out him latching onto my pant-leg, we went out and got Henry.

After Henry died, we adopted Frank. PD is a bit more aggressive with Frank when I am around. PD stands for Paul's Dog and apparently he understands that.

Other than being possessive of my lap, though, the two get along well, will sleep together, and play together. They also make a pretty good team hunting the attack toads that are currently invading our back yard.

Penny

We've found a 2nd doxie does give a cuddle buddy when you're busy or away. They do sleep and play together. As for sharing a lap, for my 3, everyone gets their spot. If I had a male, I think I'd look for a female. Let us know what you decide!

WelshSelsig

Thanks everyone! That's all good news, we are seriously thinking about it. My partner will be over the moon Bernie is so lovable to everyone, but he really is his boy. Probably because he always lets him have his own way, whereas I am the stricter one when it comes to treats etc.

crystalclear1027

He certainly is a handsome fella. I just love this breed so much because they give back 100 percent. Good luck to you finding the perfect one!

ldivinag

hi everyone
i'm new here. i have an 18month old miniature dachshund named bernie whom i absolutely adore! i think this goes both ways as he doesn't like to be on his own very much. he has always been a very well behaved dog (apart from taking some time to get into toilet habits outside) but he is very clingy. i was wondering about having another? if they would be be good company?
look forward to hearing from you all :)
Same thing with me.

My first dog is a mix but boy... Talk about separation anxiety.

Almost everything I read/seen said... get another dog.

So I got another mix. Both get along except meal times... Lol..

At tbe dog park they will go their separate ways but eventually will hang around each other in case is there is a barking match or something.

vizzla

We have a 3 y old boy and now we got 10 months old male. They love the company. They are calmer but harder to train two.
I suggest you let your boy get a bit older, like 2 years before getting another one. Dogs are packanimals so they love company! Especially dachshunds, they can be hard to train to be alone. Some never learns to relax alone, like our 3 y old. He cant be left alone. He has high anxiety so we have our parents in laws watching them daytime. But now when they are two he can be left with his pal :)