Sudden Paralysis

Pickles_n_Daisy

I have two mini's and one beagle. 4 year old Daisy suddenly started becoming limp in her hind quarters Friday June 20th and woke up the next morning paralyzed. I was out of town visiting my father 3 hrs north and there were no vets on call that Friday night. I rushed back home on Saturday and brought Daisy to the local emerg vet. X-rays were taken, no disk rupture was showing, no displacement either. Was prescribed Robaxin, prednisone and Ultram for pain. Told to keep her confined to small crate for 6 weeks.

Brought her back to the vet Tudsday for follow up, was told to put her in a bigger crate (I have one that both my dachshunds share when I am out of the house or asleep in bed. It is large enough to fit them both comfortably, they can both sit upright and turn around in this) and to cut the prednisone down to half a tab per day instead of 3 tablets a day. I'm being told by a different vet that her case is more serious than what i understood on Saturday.

I just want to make sure I am doing the best for my little girl. My dogs are very healthy and active. Daisy is 13lbs and has great muscle tone. She is not allowed to jump on people and not allowed on the furniture. I do have stairs in my house. My dogs follow me EVERYWHERE, inside the house and out. I live in the country so they are not tied and have 7 acres to roam as they see fit (they don't ever leave my sight as they are very attached).

Daisy is not in any pain, she still feels deep pain when checked by the vet. She is not having any negative reaction to any of the meds. She is eating like normal and drinking like normal and is as alert as she usually is. She can wag her tail and has control of her bowels. The bladder control is the same as always (look at her, talk to her or touch her and she pees)

I don't know what brought the paralysis on. I did hear her yelp on friday but they sometimes do when they get startled by the cat.

Again, i want to make sure I am doing the best for my girl and i do not want to jump into surgery before i give the meds and crate rest a chance. Vet #1 on saturday seemed hopeful that this would be the right course to take while Vet #2 on tuesday isn't giving me the same hope (both are at the same clinic).

Small crate? Larger crate? Cut back on the meds??? I am so heart broken and confused.

I'm hoping that there is someone out there that has "been there, done that" that could help me in choosing the right path to be on.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Penny

Hi, another Canadian here.
Been there and done that. Georgia went through this Feb 2013. She still had bladder and bowel control and we did a full 8 weeks crate rest. Carry out to potty, keep her on a leash and use a sling to support her back end, carry back to kennel. She had a full recovery but it took 6 weeks where we thought maybe there might be some strength returning. You have to be patient and wait for the spinal cord to heal. It takes time.

Cut back her food a bit and give her some tin pumpkin with her food. The extra fiber from the pumpkin will soften her stool a bit and make it easier for her to pass.

If you have acupuncture available, you might want to give her some sessions.

She has a very good chance to recover completely since she still has her bowel and bladder control. I was told that the vets that do surgery on backs will not touch a dog if they still have bladder and bowel control.

Please go to dodgerslist, it's a website that helps families dealing with spinal cord injury in their doxies. Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page Dodgerslist insist on 8 weeks crate rest, not a day less. Owners have given freedom at 6 just to find out that they have re-injured themselves and started back at square 1.

Spare leash as a sling

Session of acupuncture

Chasing a ball in the yard now

Good luck! You can do this!

jsbart

What an uplifting story and what a cutie pie. Years ago (we've had doxies since 1978) we had a litter of pups from a red doxie and two of them were red and white. At that time I had never heard of piebald and we just thought there had been some interbreeding somewhere. We used to tell people he was a rare doxie and they usually believed it because they had never seen one like him. Now all these years later we find out what he really was. He's gone now but we used to call him our little pinto poney. So glad your doggie had such a great outcome and is enjoying life as evidenced by the picture.