Rash? Allergies?

sherlock

Watson gets these weird scabs on his belly/peep area...that's the only place he gets them, so I don't think it's any kind of food allergy. I'm wondering if maybe it's from the grass outside? He squats when he pees instead of lifting his leg (so girly!) so maybe it's from the long grass the brushes against his skin? My sister's dog has a grass allergy, so that's what gave me the idea.

He's has the rashy thing for a long time now, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all, but it worries me a little sometimes.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Also, I'm sorry for the lovely closeup of my dog's peep :p

Attachments

Last edited:

babysis

I've seen that before on Baby and when I took care of my sister's doxie Marley for a while. Usually she is in the grass when it appears! She gets it on her backside. Poor thing. For Baby it's done when she is chomping/biting the area of the skin after a flea attacks her when she is in the grass. It isn't really something to worry about, just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean. Just precautions.

sherlock

Yeah, actually, it seems to have gotten a bit worse since he came home from vacation with fleas....we got them all taken care of, but sometimes I'll find one on him. I'm thinking maybe he picks one or two up outside, and then they bite him and die (he has flea drops on) but he's left with the bite.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Almost looks more like bites than a rash. Mouse, Oliver and Boo have all got similar looking bumps from ant bites.

garyd

Watson gets these weird scabs on his belly/peep area...that's the only place he gets them, so I don't think it's any kind of food allergy. I'm wondering if maybe it's from the grass outside? He squats when he pees instead of lifting his leg (so girly!) so maybe it's from the long grass the brushes against his skin? My sister's dog has a grass allergy, so that's what gave me the idea.

He's has the rashy thing for a long time now, and it doesn't seem to bother him at all, but it worries me a little sometimes.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Also, I'm sorry for the lovely closeup of my dog's peep :p

I cut my grass extra doxie short!

Little Sophie

Sophie used to get similar rashes; I think it's from the grass. Every night we just wipe her belly down with water and dry it. She hasn't gotten them since, except one time when we forgot to wash her belly for a couple of days

crystalclear1027

Our first dachshund got this and I put neosporin on it every night and it went away. I also used olive oil in his food, my vet said it was dry skin, after two weeks, it was gone.

sherlock

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys! Like I said, I was mainly just curious because it doesn't bother him, but sometimes he gets a bigger one that I keep an eye on.

Also, I just have to say that I love this forum and you guys :)

WelshSelsig

hi
i've only just joined this forum, as i have lots of questions about my miniature dachshund. one of them being allergies. my pup started getting sore red lumps under his front legs. after investigations it turns out he's got allergies to beef, milk & grasses. i was wondering if this is common in the breed?
i now have a special shampoo for him to use twice a week