Integrating dog and cat

Terry

Hello to the Forum.

We have a sixteen year old male cat, Sammy, adopted as a kitten. He is an indoor cat, no front claws, no experience in the outside world.

We recently adopted Tinkerbell who is two years old, a mini, long hair. She is a country (quiet) girl moved to the 'burbs (noisy) so she's on edge whenever she's outside to pee (sometime successful, sometimes not). Traffic, other dogs barking, far away trains and airplanes overhead make her too nervous but that's another post.

Anyway, she was adopted from a breeder who was going to use her as a breeder. A difficult birth, however, forced the owner to give her up since she didn't want to try another pregnancy.

She is not spayed at the moment but will be soon.

Sammy has exiled himself to the basement where his food and litterbox are. His first response to Tinky is flight. After my wife and Tinky are in for the night and behind closed doors, Sammy makes his way upstairs and onto my lap.

However, during the day he has a keen sense when Tinky is roaming about and will not venture upstairs.

I have held him while Tinky roams about upstairs but Tinky wants to chase her, of course. A little growling early on but not so much after a few "meetings." Tinky never ventures downstairs (I think she knows not to from her previous owner) or seeks out Sammy.

Now, we've only had the Tinkmeister less than a week. Is there any chance these two could become buddies? :confused:

Terry

crystalclear1027

I think it is going to some time. What your doing sounds right to me, slow! Short meetings a couple times a day and lots of attention to both.

Nell

I agree it will take time. You may find they will never be that close but they will definitely learn to live together and develop a healthy respect for each other. Dogs and cats are best introduced as puppies / kittens but they should end up as being well able to tolerate each other.

Good luck.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I adopted a deaf cat into my 2 deaf dog and 1 hearing dog household with fantastic results. At 16 your cat may not become friends with the dog, but hopefully they'll lesrn to tolerate eachother!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk