How do you know when it is "time.."

Dachloves201

I am sitting here writing this post in tears because I think I have reached the horizon where I need to make the most difficult decision of my life. I have 3 dogs now and know this won't be the last time I have this question but this is killing me to no end considering I am speaking of my oldest Dach. Gizmo. I have posted here before in other threads that Gizmo has been having terrible issues with diarrhea and thus far nothing is really helping. The vets thought is it's likely IBD or GI cancer but without biopsies and other batteries of test I wouldn't know for sure. Of course biopsies are expensive and something I couldn't truly afford and may end up only telling me as much as I knew before or enough to know that it was cancer and that chemo would be needed or without he'd go quickly, so I just decided to treat him symptomatically and see hoping if I couldn't fix the issue he could at least have a decent quality of life. There in lies my question or shall I say delimma. I am battling with the choice of continuing to fight for him and see if things can come out well on the other side or take a look at the fact of age and his current condition and let him go off peacefully to the bridge.

Right now he's on Prednisone to reduce intestinal inflammation, which at last talk with the vet he seems a bit less gassy then before but he's really had no change in stool consistency. Previously, the Prednisone was doing pretty well to spark his appetite which of course is a side effect of the medication. He did run out of Pred. over the last weekend which in itself was is issue but even still while on his first doses of meds his appetite was not as ravenous as I have heard of about other dogs being while on Pred. Most days Gizmo will not eat or if he does it's enough to just get by, maybe he even does it just enough to get me to stop coaxing him to. If I syringe him he will most likely not keep it down. He doesn't vomit often most times he has is when I try to force feed. Most of his days now are sleeping unless he has to go to the bathroom then he will get up and walk to go, which has resulted in accidents because he doesn't like to walk far, or he'll go get some water. Other than that he's sprawled out on the couch, bed or floor sleeping. I know he most likely also has some acid issues going on as he smacks his lips a lot after eating so it makes me think he is having reflux at times as well. While Pepcid can solve that for the most part getting him to take it is another story.

This issue is so hard because just last week I saw him play with toys he's never played with before and he seemed to have some gusto left and this week since going back on the pred. he's just been down and out and really not wanting much. I start to question is this what should be the rest of his life? Being on prednisone but having terrible bowel issues and then more experiments with medication to try and get firm stool but never really knowing if getting there is a possibility. In the meantime that's more ups and downs with what comes out either end and him feeling sore in the back and nauseous inside.

For all I know this could be a neurological remnant of his seizure back in May as his stool started to become looser near the end of that month beginning of June. So yeah, he's been fighting this a while but the vets and I have never really gotten him to the point where he was back to "normal." As I type this he's laying in the corner just sleeping quiet and peacefully but I can tell he's uncomfortable as any of us would be if we had the same issue however we don't really have the option or someone that can make that call and say enough is enough, at least not in normal circumstances....

God knows I don't want to lose Gizmo but I don't want him to suffer either. I am wrestling with the what if's. What if tomorrow's better and he starts to eat? What if he doesn't? What if I spend all of this money treating the symptoms when he may just go anyway because instead of IBD it's cancer? I also have the nagging thought that I failed him in some way and that's why we're in this situation. I know logically that's not the case but it is a nagging thought that runs through my mind. My family and friends are supportive and encourage me that I have done what I can but you never really feel like you've done enough.... While money is an object and I don't have much I do know I likely have spent well over 1500 in just vet visits, pills, food and supplements and would keep doing so for the remainder of his life if I was seeing great progress. The sad part is that I'm not seeing much progress at all. If he eats he poos in 2-3 hours time, if he doesn't eat he poo's in 2-3 hours time. :confused: This was before prednisone and now while on it. The only thing the prednisone has done is make it look like dark chocolate pudding, so in essence less watery. You would think that would be encouraging but when it's only being held in for 2-3 hours and your seeing your dog get up to go upwards of 6 times a day it's hard to be encouraged by less "water" coming out the back end.

The vet wrote me a script for another med to go along with his prednisone but I really question whether or not to fill it. We're supposed to talk soon to discuss that. In reality, the answer would be yes I need to fill it because the prednisone alone is not helping but at this point my real thought is should I even bother giving him another medication with another side effect that's going to be hard to dose him with in the first place because he doesn't want to take the medication? It's like pulling teeth to get a Prednisone in. I'm thinking my conversation with her on Monday will generally be a real analysis of his weekend 'quality' of life and ask what my options are and let him go as peacefully as possible.

Sadly, I had always imagined that he would be here longer than 14 years. Which isn't a bad track record at all by the way :p He just turned 14 on the 27th of July. Since he's stubborn though I figure he'd defy odds and be around longer than the average just because he could:p. All I know is Gizmo has had a wonderful life and he's been with me since I was 16. He's gotten me through some of the toughest times and even though he is snobby sometimes (it's a lovable trait on him though lol) and stubborn he is a great dog and I think he deserves to be comfortable more than anything else. It's hard when they can't talk to you and tell you what's hurting or if they can be fixed or when to let them go. It'd be so much easier that way for sure. This is the one time I wish he could really tell me what he felt. I know dogs don't have the sense of dread we do about the end of life but it's still hard to let go and it's going to be even harder to imagine life without him and do all the things medically and "insurance" wise that finalize that road. The only saving grace is I won't be alone when that time comes as I have two other wonderful pups here with me that will likely miss him too and grieve along with me.

I know this got quite long but I needed some way to vent even if there are no responses. I guess this is a part of starting the process of letting go and grief.

Nell

Hi, I am so sorry to read your story and hear your dog is so unwell. This is the worst dilemma ever isn't it? I have been there a couple of times with dogs I have had and it is so hard.

Sometimes I do believe we have to question why we are carrying on, I think its because we always hope things will get better and we dread the pain of letting go. But is this fair?

I know with the last dog I had to have put down the vets kept saying lets try this, then lets try that but she just got worse and in the end the reality was her last days were not what I would have wanted for her and I now regret not having let go sooner.

It sounds to me as though you have done everything you can and that is all anyone can do, you know your dog best, I am sure you will know what is best.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My childhood terrier died of a similar issue... first t might be chrones, then ibd but it turned out to be cancer. My vet kept saying it couldnt be cancer as he wasn't vomiting. But he would have episodes of bloody diarrhea. First they were weeks apart progressing over a course od a couple of months to days apart. He would be in pain during his episodes and couldn't eat. But he would be fine in a day or so. We changed foods, made him food, had him ob pred... and nothing helped. Finally we came home from work one day to find bloody diarrhea and vomit all over he house. He was in sooo much pain... we made the decision then to let him go the next day... he was feeling better but we couldn't let him hurt like that again...

crystalclear1027

I am very sorry about Gizmo not feeling well. I am sure your heart will tell you what you need to do, you certainly have done all you can do for him, that is real love and devotion to Gizmo, he is 14 and you have given him a great life and it is difficult to see him struggle everyday, when you make a decision, do it for him,not yourself, you will be at peace and so will he.

Penny

My heart goes out to you at this very difficult time.
I remember our old fella Basil. I told my husband that it was time, and he said No. We gave him another week and hubby agreed it was time. I don't think we did Basil any favors by giving him that extra week, but it gave hubby the time to soak in that reality.

My thoughts are with you this weekend. Hugs.

Dachloves201

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I was calmly talking to my mother about this last week and generally venting, she's been a great help in talking me down off the ledge as it were in feeling that I failed him somehow. I had the unfortunate task of bringing this topic up to my little sister's last week as well in a bit more detail. My mother had talked to them about generally Gizmo being sick and getting older and that he would pass away one day but they knew much less about what I was facing and I did want them to know that it could be soon and that he may have to be put to sleep. One of my sisters is quite attached to Gizmo and she was visibly upset so much so I started to tear up while talking about it, at that time it was much less of a definite but more of a possibility. That week he was doing pretty well and so while I was determined to try this next medication and decide a few weeks after that I did want them to know it was possible he could pass away soon. However, this weekend something has sparked me as much different, this is a dog that would go to great lengths to eat anything. Loved to lay in the bay windows and bask in the sun. This week has been mostly him sleeping and when he does lift his head for a bit he goes right back down to sleep and kind of with a 'slump' rather than a gradual fade back into sleep. This makes me think he's so uncomfortable inside. He did take a few bites to eat later this evening but nothing substantial. It's so hard to see him this way, he's literally wasting away he started at 11lbs and last check at the vet he was down to 8.2. I don't imagine he's gained anymore since then and probably has lost more. I can see some of the bones in his face and feel his spine. The hard thing is sometimes he looks bright eyed and he still responds to his name somewhat at least looks when he's called but despite all that honestly if he doesn't start eating he will go eventually because of the stress of it all.

I don't want him to go through that kind of pain either. @Deafdogs, while I have not seen much blood in his stool at this point it's hard to gauge if it's there or not because the meds have made it so dark brown but either way it's not normal and it's not healthy and it's unfortunate that he may indeed have cancer of some type or something neurologically wrong that is causing this issue. I also don't like how the Prednisone seemed to change his personality, this normally was a friendly mellow dog and he became a bit nervous and anxious around new places and people, that's not my Gizmo and so this had been in the back of my mind when he was started out on the Pred. Something the vet said at my last visit also sparked me in that she really didn't want to add a lot of medications at once and usually they are quite cautious about keeping younger dogs on Prednisone and the like but for the older guys if it works to keep them stable that keeping them on it is the best thing for quality of life because it's more about quality than quantity with them. While I could adjust to him being on medication for the rest of his life if his quality of life was good I just can't come to that point when I'm seeing his quality of life not improving very much with this new course of Pred. I just hope that when I talk to the vet Monday my wishes will be respected. I do think the vet will be okay with this I just don't want to have to explain my reasoning too much as I don't want the chance to second guess my decision by having the vet play the well we can try this and that first game. While I don't think this clinic will be like that (Gizmo was actually one of the old patients until I switched vets when it became to costly to take him there) it is something I worry about. I do want the vet to know of course that I appreciate her support and she did provide Gizmo with some extra days and maybe in a way this allowed me more time to come to terms with the ultimate decision. I know for a vet it cannot be easy to treat our pets and then ultimately have the pet pass away from the illness or injury especially when you've invested time, energy and resources into attempting to pull them through. So I do want to make sure the vet knows I appreciate her so I plan to tell her this.

It's so hard and I did have another cry here with Gizmo in my arms as he slept for a bit and then he got up wanted to be put down on the floor so I knew that meant he had to go out to poo. Which solidified this decision for me at this point because that's literally all he can do these days and it's just not fair to him. It also isn't fair to me and the other pups in my pack which while not being neglected are not getting the full attention they deserve as I spend so much time taking care and cleaning up after of Gizmo. I also know I am stressed beyond belief at this point, and my days with Gizmo are more painful and frustrating than happy and I want him and I to be happy not just me being content with him being "there" but him unhappily and silently suffering. I know it is the best thing to do in my mind because I know if I were in the same situation I would want relief if I had the option. It's much less about the money for continued treatment and more so about not wanting to see my friend in a silent pain. He can't tell me but somehow I know it's there. I do of course still think about what if I try the new med, what if I keep giving him his B-12 shots and other supplements he could get better but the uncertainty of this and the possibility of it not is as heartbreaking as the decision to let him go. He's a trooper though because he still keeps trying. I keep thinking about this and searching for the web for comfort and information so I can start the process of letting go and grief. I did read on a website that dogs losing their appetite is usually a great indicator of pain or discomfort if his appetite is still down even on the steroid that's supposed to make him hungry then that means he's feeling pain and discomfort somewhere and that is the last thing I want to keep having him feel while I experiment trying to find a "cure" without a diagnosis.

Already I am letting him do things he hadn't been able to lately. He seems to at least want to much sometimes on the Blue Buffalo food (I took him off of it since I thought he may be having a reaction to it when all this started) so I've pulled out a bit and let him eat that as he feels up to it. He loves pepperoni so I will have a pizza tomorrow and let him have some if he wants. He'll also get an early morning bask in the sun outside as well. I do think I have planned out how he will spend his last day. I will bathe him, brush him, trim his nails, have a quiet nap with him. Take him to the drive thru (he and all my pups have always loved going to the drive thru) order him some ice cream and french fries and if he will have some allow him to have that final treat before taking him in. I do plan to stay with him through the process if the vet allows, which I'm sure they do.

While I do want my other pets to know he's gone I don't think bringing them along to the vet see the body is the best. I had thought of it but I do have another dog that is older (12) and I don't want to stress him too much either. My youngest is 2 so she didn't have that much time with Gizmo so I don't think she'd be as hurt but she's also quite hyper and I don't want her to cause a lot of excitement or be a distraction during that time. So I will likely bring a clean towel and pet him after he passes to get the scent and take it home. In some way this helps me to think I at least tried to allow them some closure and to know what happened to their friend. I do plan to have him cremated by a local pet crematorium which will take care of picking him up from the vet.

I am comforted more and more by the fact he really doesn't know what's ahead today or tomorrow and for all he knows he just went on a long drive and then went to sleep. I am also comforted by all of the sympathy I am receiving from you all and thank you so much for your responses during this hard time.

Nell

My thoughts will be with you.

I really love the way you have planned your last day together and hope it will be a very peaceful end for a dearly loved best friend.

sherlock

I also teared up while reading this. I've been following your posts but hadn't replied yet because I never knew quite what to say, and I didn't want to post something pointless.

I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I can't really imagine it, because I've only had pets put down when I was a kid, so I was never a part of the decision and was told after they were gone.

I think your last day with Gizmo sounds wonderful, and a great way to let him enjoy his favorite things one more time (kind of like how people will say someone died doing what they loved, you know? He gets to sun bathe and eat french fries one more time.)

It is harder with other pets who will be distressed once he is gone. I like the idea you came up with, and I can't think of any better way to do it. I know people who have had pets pass at home, so their other animals knew what happened...it's harder when you take them in. Hopefully with lots of love and attention, you can help them grieve, and I'd bet anything they will help you, too.

Lots of love to you, dear. Any remember that we're all here for you! If you would like to chat one on one, please feel free to message me on here or through Watson's facebook. <3

GJBain

I lost my girl, Samantha, 2 months ago to the day at almost this time. My wife took her in. I just could not go. She was my girl. My whole life actually. She was 17 years and 3 weeks old. Born 5/13/96, died 6/3/13. She was a tough tough dog. She was deaf for probably 3-1/2 years. Almost blind the last 6 months. Had real bad arthritis at the end and had trouble walking. The last few days she hardly was eating so we knew the end was near. This dog keep in mind had her first seizure at 3 years old and was on phenobarbital since 3 years old. Never changed her personality at all. I made a point to sit with her every night for her entire life as I knew she would not live forever and I wanted to get the most out of being with her. I had a Dachshund (Samantha) as a kid and to this day I still miss her very much. Do not take a single day for granted with these great dogs. That is how I look at it. On my girls last day we went outside and sat on the stoop together. I held her and she fell asleep in my arms. I so much did not want her to wake up. I wanted her to go naturally in my arms but it was not to be. She woke up and I took her over into the grass and let her sit in the grass, she loved sitting in her grass. I told her it is her grass forever. It is her house. She is the only dog to live in this house as I built it brand new. I told her it was her house forever. We went inside and I got her to eat a tiny bit of bologna. We rarely gave her people food. Keep in mind she had not eaten in well over a day. I then gave her a bath and held her until my wife came and took her. I miss her. So much so I have trouble thinking about ever getting another dog. I called her my little monkey. And when we sat everyday I told her "I gotchya little monkey" She is cremated now and on her urn it says "Little monkey I gotchya forever." And I do!

Last edited:

Dachloves201

This is the longest night of my life... I haven't even made the appointment yet but the sense of dread is killing me. First thing tomorrow I will be calling the vet even before she tries to contact me to talk about Gizmo and let her know we're ready... I do plan to work tomorrow because I want to keep my mind as occupied as possible, luckily I work from home and can still spend the whole day with Gizmo and take extended times to just sit with him, hold him, hug him and get ready. I haven't decided if I'm going alone with him or going to have my mother or father come with me to at least drive me back home. Part of me wants to be alone for the whole thing. Earlier today I washed a blanket that he liked to rest on. I wanted to have it clean and ready for him after his final bath and so he could be wrapped in it during the process at the vet.

I decided to weigh him earlier yesterday and my scale showed 7.4lbs. Normally, my scale has only been off from the vet's scale by about 2-4 ounces at the most. So between the time of his vet appointment on Monday June 29 (he was 8.2lbs) to Aug 3 he's pretty much lost a whole pound and that's with him taking in bits of his kibble food throughout the week. So that glaringly lets me know it is truly time. Last night I had several bouts of crying and holding him, at one point I just picked him up craddled him in my arms and we danced slowly in circles in the kitchen. I've never done that with him before but it just felt right at that time. He laid there and stared off but was relaxed and seemed to enjoy this time. My schnoodle, Lady sat outside the kitchen looking up at us and just watched the entire time we danced. I think she kind of knows I'm treating him more gingerly than usual and can sense I'm upset. Today she stayed a bit close to Giz and I while we sat on the floor and she sniffed his face, his eye and around his body several times. I took the opportunity while he was napping to clip some of his hair and I have put it in a left over ring box for now. I am going to look into getting a vial or locket that I can add it to and wear.

Today he pretty much only had two "doggie" meals of his kibble consisting of about 5 bites. Funnily enough he was game to eat pepperoni and the crust of my pizza but at the same time he kind of just looked and waited for me to hand him the pieces rather than having that excited look of anticipation that my other pups had. Later on this evening I gave him more of my pizza and he kind of just laid in place while I handed him pieces. If I or he happened to drop a piece he didn't go searching frantically for it. He'd kind of look sniff around a bit and if he couldn't find it he just kind of was like "oh well.." It's probably not a good thing but he did get a bit of soda today as well, it's not been something usual for him at all but he seemed interested in it so why not.

I can see that moving is hard for him while he did walk to get water several times today I could see him kind of hesitating with moving his back legs much. I don't know if it's just because he's so skinny now but he kind of looks like he is hunched up when walking but feeling his belly and all around he doesn't seem to act out in pain. Either way, I'm sure his insides do not feel right at all. He's very tired I guess is the way to put it. After one trip to the water dish after he was done guzzling he kind of just decided to stay there and lie down to go to sleep he didn't care that he was so close to the dish that he was getting wet....he just slept.

I keep praying that he just goes on his own before all of this but I know that's not always possible and in his case he's just too stubborn. :p He probably also really is trying to fight for me as I think dogs will try to do this out of loyalty to their owners. I will update on what comes out of talking with the vet. I do want to do this as soon as possible because I don't want him to continue to feel uncomfortable and pained so I really do hope I can get him in and allow him to go peacefully this evening.

Nell

He is such a lucky dog to have someone so caring. I will be sending a big hug for both of you.

Dachloves201

I talked with the vet and Gizmo is scheduled for 3:50pm EST. We did spend time in the sunshine today, he got to eat some more pizza. After getting off the phone with the vet I immediately got up to give Gizmo a bath, I picked him up and left my office to take him to the tub and as I left my office my other dachshund Stormi was sitting outside the office door and started to cry. I came back and he gave me kisses and then I went to walk back to the bathroom with Gizmo and Stormi started to cry again. I think he senses my hurt over Gizmo.

The vet did not try to encourage more tests and diagnostics, she did cover what other options there could be but pretty well was like at his age you sometimes have to consider if they would respond to any other intervention and if it is worth it of he's still gonna feel bad and get worse. I agreed and told her that is why I called. So it is awesome that she understood and didn't try to push for more.

Gizmo is laying on a towel getting dried and seems so relaxed. I think he may truly be ready too.

garyd

My heart is broken for you. My two little guys are only 15 & 18 months. If they live as long as Gizmo, I'll be near 70, so who knows who will go first. We have no published timetable for ourselves or our pets. I only know that when my first doxie passed at almost 15 years I was so heartbroken I refused to get another for almost 20 years. You are blessed to have others and not have the opportunity to withhold love for fear of losing it like I did. My only regret now is the time I spent with no "puppy love" in my life.

Gizmo was one lucky pup to be cared for by you. Thanks for sharing with us, and I hope his special treats at the end will be wonderful memories for you.

GJBain

Like garyd I waited a long time (11 years) before getting another Dachshund so I agree you are lucky to have other Dachsunds already. Like I said I just lost mine of 17 years and I am torn about getting another. 17 years flew by and I don't feel like going through this all again. It is tough for me for some reason as I really really get attached to them. I still can't get past how guilty I feel just thinking about getting another one. I just feel this is her house and her yard and no one else's. I hope you are doing ok after a tough day like today. You are strong like my wife when it comes to this stuff. Losing my Dachshunds has been the toughest two times in my life for me without a doubt.

Last edited:

babysis

It's heartbreaking to make the decision. I've been trying to hold back the tears. It reminds me of the last week I had with my lab. I'd talk about it but it is still too hard for me. 7-8 years later! He was given as gift to me when my grandpa died. Hold onto the memories and know that you will see Gizmo again.

Dachloves201

Gizmo "Gizmonster" went peacefully today at 4:30 pm EST surrounded by me and my mother's love. He was loved in spirit as well today by my father & sisters. He gave me so many good years of friendship and unconditional love and touched quite a few people's hearts. Today he seemed like he was really ready. After his bath he just laid there peacefully while he was being dried by the blow dryer. After he was dry we sat together for a while and I played some tranquil nature sounds and pet him and cried and told him what a good boy he was. Then it was time to go so we got ready to leave the house but before leaving though Lady and Stormi were both clamoring at my legs and wanted to shower me with kisses before I left. Normally these two are rushing to the door, if I grab my purse and keys, and ready to get out and they "argue" with each other shortly after I close the door if I don't end up taking them with me. :p Today though, they just quietly followed me to the door and did not try to force their way out just quietly stood there as I walked out with Gizmo.

Gizmo and I went through the drive thru at Chic-fil-A and he got an Icedream cup. He loved the drive thru and ice cream. Today he was not very excited by going through the drive thru, which hurt because then I really knew this was the end it became so real at that moment. When we got his ice cream I parked and let him enjoy as much as he wanted, which was only about 3-4 bites, then we went to pick up my mother. She's usually the strong one in occasions like this and I'm glad I decided to have her along. When we got there Gizmo had one last bowel movement and was outside walking around albeit slowly toward my parents house. When he saw my mom exit the house he started to limp toward her holding up one of his front paws which is something he'd not ever done before then, I thought back to when we first got Gizmo and his first little accident was running into the corner of a cabinet and bruising his front leg where in he cried and limped a little and my mom was the one who was there and nursed him through that. I don't know if that's what his limping today was about but it's certainly interesting that he did that out of no where..... :confused: My little sisters got the opportunity to pet him and say goodbye as well. :)

All in all he was tired and I think truly he was ready, he sat quietly wrapped in his blanket in my arms, he allowed me to bestow all the kisses in the world on him. Funnily, he was never a super affectionate dog allowing or giving many kisses but lately he had been allowing lots of hugs and kisses. He also insisted my mom hold him for a bit too after a while he looked back at her for long time and my gut told me he wanted to go to her I told her this and so she took him he laid on her chest and looked back at me a few times then up at her and pretty well demanded to kissed by my mom which wasn't typical at all for him lol! After she gave him some kisses he then he looked back at me and I knew he was ready. I held him for a brief few moments and then the doctor joined us she gave him the shot I closed my eyes and then I knew, she didn't have to tell me even before she checked I started nodding my head as I felt he was gone and my heart started to physically hurt like a knot was being tied in my chest. She then confirmed what I knew and I got to hold him for some more time. My mother consoled me and then closed his eyes as best she could. Then I told her I was ready and she scooped him up from me to carry him outside.

It seemed so fitting that my mother was there, she was the first one he got to see as she picked him up from the breeder and now she was one of the last people he got to see before heading off to the Bridge and just as she was the person to bring him home as a puppy she was the one to carry him out to the crematory service today. Everything seems to come full circle as the vet he was at today was the vet he started out at when he was a puppy. :) Yin & Yang I think they call it?

The vet's office treated him with so much kindness and love even though he had not been there in over 8 years. The receptionists that he'd known in his short time back at that office came in and said their goodbyes and commented on what a good boy he was. So he got lots of love, care and well wishes before he left us.

I hope that on the other side of the bridge my other dachshund Tigger was there waiting for him to welcome him and to ask how I was. Both of those love bugs will be waiting for me on the other side.....;):)

I will see him again in a few days as the creamatory said they would be contacting me to return his ashes by Wed. or Thursday. I can't wait for him to come home and to put him in the window and open it up for the sun to come in so he can "bask" in it like he used to. :)

I love you Mo-Mo ♥♥♥♥

Gizmo the Love of my Life - 07/27/1999 - 08/05/2013

Last edited:

crystalclear1027

I am so relieved for you and Gizmo. I thought of you today because I read earlier the time you were taking him. I couldn't do what you have done by being there while they gave him the shot. You are a strong person. I wanted to be there for Tango, but I just couldn't do it. I am glad you were not alone today and you have emotional support from your your family and all of us on this forum. You know with me, I'll never get over losing Tang, I just learn to live with it. I hope you are at peace and can somewhat relax a little and take it slow and spread the love you had for Gizmo to your other babies.

Dachloves201

It was most definitely hard but I had no question or qualms about holding him as he passed. Honestly, humans and death I have never touched a body nor felt comfortable to but with Gizmo it was so easy and natural too. Even though it was sad I still felt some calm as well. He was super still, subdued and he just felt tired and ready to go. I plan to send a card and post a wonderful review of the vet clinic because they made it such a loving experience today. The room had a rocking chair and they told me to bring blankets and anything I wanted him to be in or have during that time. The receptionist came into the room and asked if I wanted to take care of check out right then so I didn't have to wait out in the lobby afterward. They really did make it easy and a less stressful event. I was pretty calm and Gizmo stayed calm throughout as well. It really did not take long soon after like maybe 30 seconds, he was gone. I imagine him being as small as he was contributed to that as well. I spent some time looking for a locket last night for his hair clippings and ended up running into something I thought was really beautiful. It's hand made blown glass, I will likely use some of his ashes for this and sit this in my bedroom or office window :)

Cremation Ash turned into beautiful Blown by CremationAshGlass