Food you feed your Dachshund.

Dachloves201

I feed my guys Blue Buffalo Wilderness variety in the Senior formulation. I also add in the Blue buffalo soft food usually Chicken & Trout, Chicken & Duck etc. I ended up adding the soft food to the mix as well since Gizmo is a pretty picky eater and he would often pass up eating just dry food even if I floated it in warm water and let it cool and served. Since adding the Blue Buffalo soft food I've had very little refusals going on with either of my doxies nor my schnoodle. My schnoodle was on RC Puppy when I first got her.. I tried my doxies on that food and they hated it and their poo smelled terrible. I've found a good food in Blue B, and don't plan to switch at all because I'm not finding that any are having bad digestive or allergy issues on this food. :)

jax's_mommy

I feed Jax kibbles and bits homestyle flavor. Its the only food he will eat. Everything else, he starves himself with.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I feed Jax kibbles and bits homestyle flavor. Its the only food he will eat. Everything else, he starves himself with.
A dog will not starve itself. I've fostered picky dogs before, but every single time they've started eating within 3 days... You just need to be tough! kibbles and bits is absolute garbage, It's full of sugar, nasty preservatives and fillers. There is no meat, except the 4D's (Rendered garbage that cannot go into the human food chain) and, as it's not a named meat source (chicken, turkey, beef etc) it could be absolutely anything... and rumors abound that it can include euthanized pets...

Nope, I would get him off it, before it kills him.

jax's_mommy

Ive tried being tough, (nothing good here anyway, I am in a small town not near anything big except wal-mart and they dont carry many big good brands in the walmart by me) He literally would not eat the other stuff, his bowl would sit still full over a week. He mostly ate the occasional cat food that our cats dropped on the floor. He refused to eat it :/ I even tried mixing it with wet food. He picks that out, and leaves the dry. So I switched around to one he would eat.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Honestly, I wouldn't feed anything they have in Walmart... I'd be cooking for my dog (or feeding raw) if that was the case... the stuff in that store is garbage. I'm not just being mean or snotty or anything... that stuff is NOT nutrition

jax's_mommy

It's ok, I understand your letting me know.

I would feed raw, or cook for him, if I could afford to do that. Right now we can't.
I do feed him raw chicken every now an then when we have the extra to do so.
But for now, till I can get a job (going through a lot of unknown medical issues plus surgery Wednesday so I have to wait for awhile) I do hate feeding him this stuff, and hate that I dont have a lot of options available. But I do what I can with what we can get and what I can get him to eat.
I'll have my license in August, so then I'll be able to go to the closet big city to some other place to get better food for him.

Little Sophie

Good luck with your surgery!

We used to have Sophie on Innova Prime Chicken and Turkey until the recent recall of course. She never had any problems on it and would gobble it down so fast when we put her bowl down.

With Innova off the shelves, we picked up Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe and she is doing fine.

lisaboo

We will be feeding blue buffalo puppy it's at petsmart. Or Eukanuba Dachshund formula haven't decided yet.

Last edited:

garyd

We feed our guys Blue Buffalo small breed kibble....several flavors.
And upon recommendation from the vet, we have cut the portions slightly and supplement with frozen green beans. No preservatives or additives, and our little guys love them. The younger who has always been a little, shall we say "portly", has slimmed down and is a different dog altogether. He runs and plays a lot more, and wags his tail constantly now. We used to comment on how little he did that compared to our other guy. I'm sure he's happier as well as healthier.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Eukanuba is a very high priced bag of garbage. Made by Iams which does HORRIFIC animal testing. No thanks. And any food that's breed specific is just a gimmick, there's no point in it, and they charge alot more for them. Don't get sucked in thinking they have the best food available to your dog just because it has the breed in the name. It's all the same.

You are much better off buying a high end food like Orijen, Acana, First Mate, Horizon Amicus, Horizon Pulsar, Go, Now, or Fromm. Prices for these high end foods are comparable to eukanuba, but have WAY better ingredients and better company integrity.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And upon recommendation from the vet, we have cut the portions slightly and supplement with frozen green beans. No preservatives or additives, and our little guys love them. The younger who has always been a little, shall we say "portly", has slimmed down and is a different dog altogether. He runs and plays a lot more, and wags his tail constantly now. We used to comment on how little he did that compared to our other guy. I'm sure he's happier as well as healthier.
Instead of just beans, try all sorts of different veggies... Variety is important for dogs, (and people) So mix it up! Just don't give alot of carrots, as they're full of sugar. Also either puree or cook veggies, otherwise the nutrients aren't available to dogs :)