Dry skin and constant itching

Soarjet

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums and I have tried to look for the answer to my question but I couldn't find anything. So hopefully I'm not repeating something.

I have a 2 year old mini long haired, he started scratching a lot during the winter. (I live in Toronto, Canada). So I thought it was because it was winter, unfortunately this hasn't let up, we are not at 25'C which I think is 77'F. I have tried many things, but I don't know what else to do.

My brother had a Great Dane who had dried skin and he was able to give his dog Olive Oil and it helped with his skin, I don't know if this will work for my dachshund and if it will how much I should give him..

Please can someone help!!

Thank you,

babysis

Hi and welcome, I would put no more than a few drops of olive oil in the food once a day. Look for an olive oil that has thickness to it and is stored lower on shelves in your local market. If you go for a thin olive oil, it won't work. Or what really helps is to give a bath and put olive oil in the bath. Usually about a teaspoon full or however much to your discretion. Of course they will be greasy but it will help a bit. I usually put it right on my girl's back or focus on the points of where I see the itching the most. Make sure you do one or the other though!
Good luck!

Penny

You might have an allergic dog. What are the first 5 ingredients in his food? The first thing I would try is a food change, whatever protein you are feeding, try a different protein.

There is a product called AllerG 3 at the vet that is specifically made for dogs with dry coat. The best thing for dry coat is to include this in their food so it works from the inside out. I bought AllerG 3 in pump form rather than capsules because with 3 dogs, it's what I prefer. I feed 3 times a day so I can give a little bit in breakfast and supper.

Bathing too often will be a problem.

When washing dog blankets, don't use a softener. If you have carpets and shampoo them, give them a rinse. Try to think about what chemicals he's coming in contact with.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Instead of Olive oil, use salmon oil. Also, often a canned or raw diet helps with dry skin. Feeding more fats usually helps (just make sure you adjust amounts and exercise for the higher fat content) Also it could definitely be an allergy, so a single, unique protein (like salmon, venisen, rabbit, duck,) that's grain (and preferrably potato)-free.

That happened to us and even though I couldn't see any fleas an application of Frontline stopped the itching. So try a high-end flea product.

Soarjet

Thank you so much everyone, I have started to switch his food. So we are going to try that and slowly and surely try to figure this out. I am going to head to the grocery store, all my olive oil is very high end! I am also going to look at salmon oil any particular place I can purchase it?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Thank you so much everyone, I have started to switch his food. So we are going to try that and slowly and surely try to figure this out. I am going to head to the grocery store, all my olive oil is very high end! I am also going to look at salmon oil any particular place I can purchase it?
Salmon oil can be found in pharmacies, health food stores, pet stores, and sometimes farm supply stores as well (I used to be able to get it at UFA). Olive oil is just a good quality fat, salmon oil is full of omegas, which are good for skin and coat (among many health benefits) Though when supplementing with Salmon oil, one should also supplement vitamin e, as salmon oil will depleat it. Both my Dachshunds get Pet Tek Wild Salmon Oil and Carnivora Primrose Oil Which has vitamin e and also helps with skin and coat as well as many other benefits. (Read the links I've provided)