Worried about our Baby

alticavis

I am obviously new to this forum, and I am posting out of worry.....

Here is the situation:

Last night, our mini doxie Abby had what we believe to be a night terror. She is 3 years old, playful, and loving, and about 10 pounds........she has had this happen 1 other time, about a year ago.

Here is what she did. In the middle of the night, I heard a quick yelp, then she began to really tense up. (Yes she sleeps with us, and has from day 1). Now, the first time she did this, she managed to jump off the bed (which she NEVER did before), and we freaked out because she was acting like she hurt her back that time. She recovered within a minute or two. This time, I managed to grab her before she jumped again. I just held her. She had a blank stare, like she was looking right through me! She was VERY tense with her back curled, her front arms locked up looking like a TRex, and she couldn't stand up.

She again recovered in a few minutes, and had an embarrassed demeanor, acting like she had done something wrong.

I have done searching, and haven't seen very much information online about what this could be, and it doesn't happen often (2 times in her life)

Has anyone else had this happen to their Baby??? I understand that dogs have dreams too, and that its typical to see them twitch, and maybe give little yelps here and there, but this was completely different. She looked awake with her eyes wide open, yet a blank stare, and it was like her muscles were locked up......

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! My wife and I are thankful that she is acting normal, but we are still freaked out!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know this post may be hard to follow, and for that I apologize......

Matt

kimbera15

Hello. I joined this forum because my three year old doxie came home yesterday after having back surgery last Wednesday. Your post caught my eye. I don't know if you have found out what the issue is that your pup is having but when I read your post the first thing that came to mind was a seizure. Stick with me here... I say this because my niece has seizures but they are only when she goes to sleep at night. She doesn't flail around or anything but she states into space and becomes rigid. I'm not saying that is what your dog is suffering from but maybe it is worth investigating. Good luck. I hope your baby is doing okay!

Inkeri

I would consult a vet. It might be epilectic seizure or something like that. :( And if it isn't, at least you'll get a peace of mind. :) Good luck! I hope it's nothing serious. :)

alticavis

Thanks for the insight everyone!!!

She hasn't done it since that night. I guess what throws me off is that it has only happened 2 times in her life.......

Matt

I agree, could be some kind of seizure (from what I know of humans). For two times in her life I would not rush to put her on long-term medication that might not even be needed. If the episodes get closer together or last longer it's another story. Is it possible this happens at other times when you're not there to be a witness?

alticavis

I agree, could be some kind of seizure (from what I know of humans). For two times in her life I would not rush to put her on long-term medication that might not even be needed. If the episodes get closer together or last longer it's another story. Is it possible this happens at other times when you're not there to be a witness?
Thanks for posting! I think that for now we will just watch her like we always do - like you said, if they happen more often or get worse, we will definitely get our vet involved.

I work from home, and I have never seen her do this before, aside from the 2 times she has done it at night............I always come out of my office to pet my dogs, and get away from work for a few minutes. She is also crate trained, so she goes in a crate when we leave, which is hardly ever longer than a few hours (like going out to dinner or something)......

Matt