Why is my dachshund always hungry??

lilbitsc

Hey everyone! I am curious why my dachshund always seems to be hungry no matter how much or how little she eats. I also just bought her a slow feed bowl because she has started to inhale her food over the past 6 months to a year. She is 4 1/2 years old. The vet told me to feed her 3/4 cup of food a day and less than that if I give her treats. She is between 16 and 17 lbs and the vet wants her between 14 to 15. What should I do to help this weight loss? I have tried to give her broccoli with her food but that did not seem to help with the hunger issue. She had a knee issue also and I am scared to take her for to long of walks/runs because I do not want to aggravate it again.

Thank you.

I thought hunger was a natural state for dachshunds. I don't think most of them know when to stop eating.

Do you feed twice a day? Our dachshunds get a 1/3 cup in the morning and 1/3 cup in the evening. They maintain their weight pretty well with that. The smaller one is at 8 or 9#, the longer one is about 11#

lilbitsc

i may have to try the 1/3 and 1/3. I usually do 1/4 in the am and 1/2 in the evenings. It just seems like so little! and it probably is a constant state, i just feel bad lol thank you.

i may have to try the 1/3 and 1/3. I usually do 1/4 in the am and 1/2 in the evenings. It just seems like so little! and it probably is a constant state, i just feel bad lol thank you.
My dogs are smaller than yours, and 2/3 cup is less than 3/4 cup, so that might not be a good solution for you. We usually have to experiment for a while whenever we try a new food. Sometimes we will feed a "heaping" serving, and sometimes a "flat" serving, depending on the food, to keep their weight in the proper range.

Actually, my wife is the one that usually manages their food. I should probably let her manage mine, too!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Try 1/3, 1/3 then add veggies for bulk, to help her not be so hungry... though mine are always hungry too! LOL

My 2 are 7lbs and 8lbs, they 7lb male gets 1/2 a cup a day, and the 8lb female gets 2/3-a full cup depending on what she looks like (I take her for a walk and she looks like she lost a lb LOL and that's not much of an exaggeration either! LOL)

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Any veggies she likes, except onions (and any other toxic ones, I cant remember if there's anything else), potatoes and sweet potatoes have alot of carbs, and carrots have alot of sugar, so avoid them too. Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, squash, etc. you can feed them cooked, or raw, pureed is best when raw, so they get all the nutrients out.