What trix can your dogs do?

vizzla

To teach a dog trix is a good way to create a bond between owner and dog, of course this only can be done with positive reinforecment techics. We always teach our dog handsignals and words. He listens more to handsignals, maybe because dogs read bodylanguage better than they learn words.

Alf knows these trix:

- play dead (lay down on one side when we say "pang")
- paw (puts paw in our hand)
- wave
- back
- roll over
- make the bed (pulls a blankit over himself)
- shame on you (puts paw over his nose)

I still wants to teach him how to clean up (put his toys in a basket) but he wont fetch.

I like to get new tips on what to teach him! Ive thought of teaching him to close doors but I dont know if he starts doing this when we dont want to ;)

Our dog loves to learn new trix, its almost like he is proud of having a common language with us. Once, he was bored at home, we walkt him, played with him and he still wasnt saticfied. Then I just asked him what we could do more? Then he started to show me some trix we thought him! When we gave him some new trix he was saticfied and slept a good while :)

Last edited:

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
My dogs know tons of tricks, I love teaching tricks, it's such a rewarding experience for the dogs, and myself. Especially with the deaf dogs.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yeah, you could teach him to Pray

High five, wave, back up, put his front paws up on a ball or a box, move his back feet around said ball or box, weave between legs, figure eights between legs, When I have more time tonight I'll send you some videos

vizzla

High five, wave, back up, put his front paws up on a ball or a box, move his back feet around said ball or box, weave between legs, figure eights between legs, When I have more time tonight I'll send you some videos

Thank you! Supercute pic! :D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I dont have many video's of my dachshunds doing tricks, as I have to train in the semi-dark due to Mouse's bad eyesight. But here's a few tricks Oliver knows, and a cute one of Mouse

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrKL42b19E]Mouse's laptop case trick - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3YS4mtmvE]Oliver's Tricks #2.mpg - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMmtFICKPg4"]Oliver's Outdoor Tricks - YouTube[/ame]

S_Toast

Hank gives 5. He's done it since he was a tiny guy. You can even stick your foot out and ask him to give 5 and he will on your foot. Gotta admit he doesn't know a lot of other tricks. Unless looking adorable is a trick :)

vizzla

Im so proud of my self and my dachshound! He almost got the "elephant trick" and backing up betwen my legs!!! I never tought we would do it! I love the clicker.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yay that's awesome!!! Clicker training is so much faster than other methods, especially with trick and more complicated behaviours :)

Inkeri

Manu just learnt to do an 8 around my legs and go backwards. :) I suppose i have to combine these next. ;)

kornygerm

How do you have the patience?.i have read dachshunds take over 15 repetitions..could be less or more on learning a trick..so even though i would like to teach my dachshund and my other dog some tricks, i just dont have that kind of patience..

vizzla

I dont think its that hard! I do belive there is a lot of prejudice when it comes to training daches.

I do 4-5 rep and then take a break or do other tricks he allredy know, then I do 4-5 reps again and then a break, and then 4-5 reps. Then I dont do trix for one or to days and when I try it the 3:e time he knows it! Or at least he know what I mean so we just shape it a bit.

Inkeri

I don't think it's that hard either. :) I do it almost the same as Vizzla. I've noticed that Manu needs to think about it over night and the next time we try he's got it. :) Of course I need to make sure he doesn't get bored... Then he does nothing. And there are some tricks he just doesn't want to do. He's not a circus-dog, he thinks. ;)

I don't know why ppl think that dachsies are difficult to train, coz they are very smart. You just have to find the right treat, it's not always a doggie bisquit. ;) I sometimes treat him with a toy and play also. :)

vizzla

Inkeri, you are so right! I think people bore out their dog by repeting to foten. Dachs are smart.

I often overdo my happines when he does something hard or just try to do right even when he is unsure. I become sooooooooo happy and and pet him alot and kiss him (he loves kisses) and play with him. This makes him proud and happy to try again. It come to the point that when he is bored he comes to me and bark, and if I ask what he like to do he starts showing me "play dead" :) He WANTS to do trick, Im sure :)

vizzla

Its like he appriciate a language we both understand. I do all tricks with both hand and voice signals.

vizzla

AND....
The one big thing thats improved in my life since I got Alf is that my patience has gotten better! :)

I cant be mad at the dog, its always me that go to fast if he doesnt want to do trick or simply picked the wrong day ;) Some days its not worth trying :D Just wait one day and do it again.

kornygerm

ok i guess i can give it another shot.i´m always on a student budget, so i cant always buy em a bag of treats, so perhaps i should look into making my own. I like to cook anyway.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
ok i guess i can give it another shot.i´m always on a student budget, so i cant always buy em a bag of treats, so perhaps i should look into making my own. I like to cook anyway.
Little tiny bits of cooked Chicken, liver, beef, pork, tiny pieces of cheese, hot dogs cut up tiny, bits of beans, or apples, or asparagus, whatever your dog likes (except grapes) You can use anything you want for treats, it doesn't have to be "dog treats"

I usually just use my dogs food, as they like their food as much as anything else.

kornygerm

Maybe i should record a video to show you what i'm doing wrong..He is responsive to cheese, but with dog food..he just doesnt takes it..maybe if its wet..

vizzla

You need to find what motivates him. For our dog its frolic (dog food, not the one we feed him).