weight

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
according to our vet, and taking into consideration that we have standard sized dachshunds, she has told us they can weigh up to 32 pounds(sorry, I suck at the metric system). I look at both of them and think WOW!! Henry is 18 pounds, and Oscar is almost 16 pounds. Is this really true? can Dachs really reach 32 pounds? Am I obsessing too much over weight?

Susan

Bella & Jack's Mummy
I wish i could help you with that question but I only no about minitures and their ideal weights is 11 pounds, hope someone else comes along who can help :) x

brittany7206

according to our vet, and taking into consideration that we have standard sized dachshunds, she has told us they can weigh up to 32 pounds(sorry, I suck at the metric system). I look at both of them and think WOW!! Henry is 18 pounds, and Oscar is almost 16 pounds. Is this really true? can Dachs really reach 32 pounds? Am I obsessing too much over weight?
My uncle has a standard sized dachshund and he has gotten up to 25lbs. I have not heard of weight exceeding 30lbs. I am very weight concious with my pup as well. I am not sure if you are obsessing or not but to me it doesn't hurt to be aware of it and keep track due to health reasons.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all this may help Its a guide to your Doxies proportions, regardless of their weight...

starfish

:)Thank you everyone. Admin, Henry and Oscar have the right above view, and as for the side view, it is a little bigger than the perfect one, but far from the fat one. Henry has lost weight. When I was working overnights, he was at home with hubby who let them have whatever they wanted...Henry got up to 25 pounds. I have Henry back down in weight, and have given hubby the 'speach' about weight, so, hubby is doing better with treats and such. We were told that dachshunds were good with 20 minutes of exercise a day...but our boys are waayyyy more active than that, and I am all for making sure they get their walks and play time. The tennis balls are great for their prey drive. tires out them and their minds.

Cell

I have seen one really large standard it could have been close to 30lbs, it looked like a mini red/golden retriever but was a pure bred standard langhaired doxie.

looked a lot like this dog

lccsue

Mine are 14 lbs and 18 lbs (I know!!) Bella, who is 14 lbs has been declared to be at the perfect weight by our vet but Diggy needs to lose 4 lbs. We are working on it!

I have also heard about the 11lb rule and brought that up to my vet but she insisted that for the length of ours, 14lbs is fine. Bella certainly looks slender. Diggy is a pudge!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Mouse is 8.5 lbs... she's a tiny little thing, and, at almost 2, she's still skinny. I am seriously obsessed with keeping her thin, as it's so tough on them to be overweight... but with Mouse, it's a full time job monitoring her intake of food... she'd obsessed with food!

G

Gravhund

Ideal Weight

I work in an animal hospital and we get questions about weight all the time. Dachshunds come in a whole range of weights (although I think standards max at about 25 - 28 lbs), so it's hard to say what's ideal for the individual doxie.

A quick way to check if your dog is at a healthy weight is to look at your dog from above, you should be able to see a waist. Also, when your dog is standing, feel for the ribs, you should be able to feel them with light pressure.

Weight is so important for Dachshunds so I hope this was helpful :)

starfish

I work in an animal hospital and we get questions about weight all the time. Dachshunds come in a whole range of weights (although I think standards max at about 25 - 28 lbs), so it's hard to say what's ideal for the individual doxie.

A quick way to check if your dog is at a healthy weight is to look at your dog from above, you should be able to see a waist. Also, when your dog is standing, feel for the ribs, you should be able to feel them with light pressure.

Weight is so important for Dachshunds so I hope this was helpful :)
Thank you!! This information was very helpful!! We have both boys on a limited diet now, with a large walk thrown in at night when I get off work, followed by a large round of playing ball. They are both at 18 pounds, but the weight is still coming off. I just greatly obsess about their health and weight. I want to keep my little guys around as long as possible. They are wonderful additions to our family. :D Any information that we get to help us keep them around is greatly appreciated. Thank you again.