Trying a new food...

Penny

What do you think of this food?
I'm changing things around since Georgia had a bought of diarrhea and we need a different protein source, and she was on lamb.

Dry Dog Food: Anchovy & Sardine and Salmon Meal | Holistic Select®

The first few ingredients...

Anchovy & Sardine Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Beet Pulp, Menhaden Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Carrots, Pumpkin, Cranberries, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Apples, Peas, Organic Quinoa, Vitamins

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Three reasons I wont feed that food,

1- 58% carbohydrates, only 24% protein (dry matter basis) enough said

2- I try to avoid fish in my pet's food. Fish is so full of toxins, pregnant women aren't upposed to have it more than once a week... toxins build up so fast in little dogs

3-made by WellPet (which is owned by a huge corporation, Berwin, which is a mining company that owns a ton of crap, including Elmer's glue. No thanks, I didn't like Wellpet before they were bought out, I especially dislike them now.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
And they use canola oil as a fat source and not an animal fat. Cheaply made food, is what it is.

Penny

I was looking into fish because I was trying to avoid chicken and lamb. I'm not set on fish. I've bought a salmon based food some time back and the poop was just too stinky for me to put up with. lol The dogs poop on papers inside for the winter, and that just wasn't suiting me. That said, I was willing to give it another try, a different food.

When you say "only 24% protein", what is the number you'd prefer to see?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I feed 30-40% protein (DMB) in kibble. I try to avoid feeding carbs as much as possible. Carb loaded food is just full of stuff dogs don't need. This is why I try to feed alot of canned First Mate. It is only 6.8% carbs, I feed a variety of brands and proteins to prevent sensitivities to new things and to prevent allergies. oftentimes, dogs'll develop allergies to a protein they eat day after day, by rotating or feeding a variety, that helps prevent it.