Treat taking

starfish

Midwest US Region Moderator
When I get chews for our boys(bones and such), our oldest, Henry, will hide his or guard his until Oscar walks away from his own bone...then, Henry will try to take Oscar's away. Should I intervine? Oscar will try to get it back, but Henry will bare teeth. This never happens over food or snacks...just over chews. Any advice? I have tried to let them work it out and I have tried giving the chews back to each dog they belong too. I am confused on this one. :confused:

gpmum2

A difficult one,I would take the easy option and not give chews!

Maybe not giving Henry the chance to bury his. As soon as he finishes or leaves it take it away and give it to him another time and praise him for letting you take it away. Have a fun game after the chew has been given up.

Sit with Henry when has his chew & praise him if he is quiet when Oscar walks by. Only my suggestions :confused:.

starfish

:)Thank you!!! :D I will try it. Even though both dogs view us as 'alpha' in our pack, Henry is next in the line of command so to speak. Henry has never shown any aggression over anything else around the house or even treats. This one was hard for us as well, I will keep you informed as to the outcome. Once again, thank you very much for your advice.

starfish

:)Thank you!!! :D I will try it. Even though both dogs view us as 'alpha' in our pack, Henry is next in the line of command so to speak. Henry has never shown any aggression over anything else around the house or even treats. This one was hard for us as well, I will keep you informed as to the outcome. Once again, thank you very much for your advice.
I took Henry's treat away after he growled at Oscar, after the second time, He seemed to 'get it'. I praised him highly when he didnt growl at Oscar. It worked this time. Thank you. :D

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
A difficult one,I would take the easy option and not give chews!

Maybe not giving Henry the chance to bury his. As soon as he finishes or leaves it take it away and give it to him another time and praise him for letting you take it away. Have a fun game after the chew has been given up.

Sit with Henry when has his chew & praise him if he is quiet when Oscar walks by. Only my suggestions :confused:.
Be careful, taking bones/food/treats/valuable items from a dog can cause food aggression with people. Make sure you always trade (give him something more valuable than what he has) then pick up the item you dont want the dog to have. I dont play the mess in the food dish game, or take then hand back bones. I need my dogs to trust me. Dogs live in the moment, and they dont correlate between you taking the bone away then giving it back.

I dont have any issues with food aggression with my dogs, but then, I have never messed around with my dogs' food. Especially when dealing with rescues that have been starved, they need to know they'll get their food. But they do have to work for their food, I make them sit, wait, lay down, high five... whatever i feel like before they get the sign to go eat, or get their treats.

I honestly would seperate the dogs to chew on their treats. and when they're done with them (either finished or bored) pick up the leftover's.

Another idea is using a spray bottle, if one tries to take the other's treat, spray the theif. when they walk away from their treats, pick them up.

I also never correct a dog for growling. growling is an early warning system. If you train the growl out of your dog, then you get "unprovoked attacks" If my dog is growling, it's for a reason, and we all better respect that.