Training older dog to pee pad

BarbC

I have 2 older dachshunds -- 13 years old. The Male, Mac, has started having trouble not being able to go as long without being let out to pee. This is no problem when we are home, as we take him out any time he needs. A few times over the last month, we have come home to find one of them.. pretty sure it is Mac.. has peed on their blanket. I don't think this is a behavioral issue, I really think it is age related. I have thought of getting pee pads and training him to use those for when we aren't there. Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to help with this issue?

TIA for any advice or suggestions!

BarbC

CaseyKC

I have never used pee pads, but I have a friend who does. She lives alone but uses her guest bathroom and keeps the pee pads in there, unless she has an overnight human guest. She started out by using part of a paper towel that she had cleaned up an accident with, placed it on a pee pad in the designated bathroom and introduced her dog to the pee pad with the dirty paper towel on it. Concurrently, she gave her dog several pieces of a cut up hotdog and praised her. She did this several times a day for a few days, and told me it took less than a week for her dog to begin using the pee pad. The only time she has a problem with this arrangement is when out of state friends visit and stay overnight.