Tooth Extraction for Opie and Jackson

maryorio

Opie and Jackson are full-brother black and tan long-haired minis. Jackson is 9, Opie is 8. Jackson had his teeth cleaned and five teeth removed yesterday including his two molars I believe. (His teeth were cleaned before at the vet's three years ago but no extractions.) Opie's teeth aren't near as bad but he is due to go in next week and I was told he would probably need to have some teeth removed as well. Both have been healthy, energetic and happy. We are in NY and the dental work cost over $1000 for Jackson. Jackson is beginning to bounce back. The dentist has outlined no drawbacks to the extraction of the teeth but I imagine he would be more likely to choke? And how to avoid having the rest of this teeth removed? I am wondering if I should go through with this for Opie. I give them almost exclusively dry food with an occasional carrot or broccoli, more carrot and broccoli recently because they have to lose weight. But couldn't the carrot contribute to tooth decay? (BTW it's been weeks and I think the carrot is actually counterproductive in that they are eating less kibble but not losing weight.)

Cashs Mom

I've had many dachshunds over the years. It seems like many have to have teeth extracted at about 9 or 10. I had one little old girl who came to me thru rescue who only had a few teeth left and did just fine. I feed raw which seems to help with not having to have dentals as often, but I've still had to have extractions on my dogs. While its sad (and expensive $1000 here too) to have dentals and extractions done, they are necessary. Infected teeth can cause infection in the rest of the body and migrate to organs like the heart.