Sweating doxie?

limunkay

I know dogs sweat through their paws and tongues but my short haired mini appears to sweat in his pawpit (armpit) areas and his belly.
Is that normal? Does anyone else's doxie "sweat" too?

Steph

Ok, so I had never heard of this myself and did some looking into it. A couple of recommendations I found were to
1) check the quality of food the dog is on. Just like our skin, dogs skin discharges toxins and what not, so there may be something in the food that's causing the excessive moisture in the armpit and belly area.

2) Have a full thyroid panel run - again, excessively moist skin can be a sign that the thyroid is acting up. Dachshunds are prone to hypothyroidism, so that may be a warning that something is not quite right. If your pup is fixed, the chances of hypothyroidsim go up.

Hope you find out what's bugging your little guy. Keep us posted :)

limunkay

Never thought about those things!! Thanks for the suggestions!
All my pups eat the same food (nutro) and the others appear to be fine.. Then again they are not short haired dogs so it would be hard to determine if they were "sweating" too. Maybe I should get him checked out for hypothyroidism. Recently he started to lick parts of his legs/paws bald too.. Wonder if that has anything to do with the "sweating."

Steph

You're welcome!

I wonder if he's having some sort of anxiety issues. Has anything changed - I mean MAJOR changes that may be causing him to stress out? Most dogs lick when they are stressed and it can cause skin irritations. Things we may not think of as a major change can in reality be a BIG deal to dogs. If you're going to get a thyroid test done, do a whole thyroid panel, not just a T3 or T4. I learned this little tidbit when I had my Dobermans since they too suffer from hypothyroidism.