Support needed IVDD surgery

Sarahf

Hi everyone

A very tired newbie here looking for some support. My doxie Jenson had a slipped disc which was removed about 2 months ago. His spinal cord was quite badly compressed and it's a long slow road. He regained use of his bladder a couple of days after bringing him home but where poop is concerned it's a guessing game. He has one meal at the same time every day and there is no pattern as to when he will go. My husband and I seem to be forever clearing up poo. He is not really making fast progress in regaining use of his legs and the hydrotherapy sessions seem to be great but don't transfer out of the water. To top it all off he has taken to keeping the house awake all night. I am a very tired and stressed owner and wondered if anyone out there can help lift my spirits!! Has anyone had a similar situation and has any words of wisdom or can share their doxies recovery timeline?

Lupita

I haven't been in your situation, so don't have much advice that way. I just want to offer some encouragement. When my Doxie went down I found Dodgerslist.com to be a huge help and support. If you haven't already, please check that site out. So many good outcome stories there. Our girl didn't need surgery, just meds and crate rest, but it was still a tough couple of months. Hang in there-progress can be very slow.

vizzla

Its a bigg surgery and I hope you all overcome this. Maybe he is bored as to not beeing abel to move around as before. Can you do interesting mind games to make him tired so you can sleep at night?