Strange bathroom habits

Tikki

My half Doxie will, if necessary, pee in her crate at night - at the other end from where she has a fluffy blanket on which to sleep. That means when I have not heard her eeping so she has no choice, but she will not poo in her crate. If she needs to poo she eeps, getting louder and louder until I manage to get out of bed, let her out, go through the bungalow and clip her onto her leash so she can do whatever she wants outside. She then comes in, is happy to be unclipped and rushes back into her crate, waiting for a small bikki, meaning I get another couple of hours sleep.

But - when I go to the little store across the road I have to clip her onto a leash which is attached inside the door, as is her tether. More for her safety as I do not have any interior doors and I will not put her in her crate except at night - when she is happy to go in. I do not want her to think that going into it is a punishment. It is for night only.

I had to get a few things, came home after less then half an hour, changed her from leash to tether, and she shot out and pee'd while I put the shopping away. I still keep a puppy pad in the salon for emergencies, so why did she come then come back in and do a little poo on the puppy pad when the door was open so she could have gone out?

This little puppy confuses me. I know what she should be doing at her age and she is clean. OK so she woke me at just gone 5am with her "wanna poo" eeps, came in, straight back in her crate for a little bikki and zonked off again for another three hours. But why should she go out after I had come back in and left the door open, pee and then come in and do a little poo on the puppy pad? Does she think she is giving me a present for having come home?

Tikki

Tikki will be 16 months old on Friday next week - 15 September. Actually she has not pee'd in her crate for ages although it does not bother me if she does as her crate is lined with two puppy pads with her fluffy blanket [or soft cushion] at the end she decided was her sleeping area. Sometimes I just cannot get up to let her out if it is only a "wanna pee" eep but she has not done it for quite a while now. It is when her eeping gets louder and louder - still an eep and not a bark, that I know it means "wanna poo".

She definitely tells me what she wants, so who is training who?

But a little poo on a puppy pad is easily picked up - being raw fed her poos are very small and firm - not hard but firm, and can be picked up with a tissue and chucked in the loo.

Strange little puppy, and she still is only a puppy really.

"Who's training who?"

Our doxies are really good at training us. And it is appropriate that we learn from them. They have so much to teach us about life and love.
Sometimes they just want your attention/affection. Even at 5 am.

I bet there are a lot of doxie owners on this forum who sleep with their dogs. Doxies love to burrow under the covers and keep their humans warm at night.

Tikki

I would love to have Tikva sleep on my bed but after four years of a severely epileptic dog who mainly had seizures at night, meaning stripping the bed at stupid o'clock, I am pleased that Tikki is content and comfortable in her crate, which is in my bedroom. After all, she has slept in it at night since I brought her home at just three-weeks-old, although she does not need any toys or any of my clothes in there with her now!

It is far too hot to share my bed with a little hot dog now though, and she was happy enough during the winter although I did give her an extra little blanket so she could make a nest.