Spekkle....

jazzaria

Hi everyone...

Spekkle went in yesterday to be spayed, she is home now and has gotten up this morning starving.. she seems to be doing great except for the lovely cone on her head!! She has been quite entertaining with this cone as she will stand quite still looking very helpless for a few minutes then she starts going in circles backwards! Poor baby! Our vet said for us to leave her in her crate for any time she is not directly with me, and to keep her away from the kiddos... But poor Spekkle sees one of the kids walk by or out in the living room and looks at them like they have abandoned her at the moment.. I feel bad keeping her away from them, after all she is their baby, and I have let them come give her loves when I am holding her to keep her calm.... He also said that having her spayed may help with some of the house training woes, I however had never heard this before. Does anyone know if this is true? It would be a blessing if this did help with any of our house training issues...

DFowler

I don't know about house training for females and spaying. I know they say that about male dogs. Glad to hear you little one is doing fine after surgery. I am new to the little Dachshund breed. My little girl is wide open except when sleeping. My other two dogs are so layed back. Isabella is keeping them on their toes and me also.

jazzaria

We origionally planned on getting Spekkle spayed in a couple more months, however she has some very strange behaviours when it comes to house training... And after I spoke with our vet about it they recommended that we move that forward... Because they thought she was marking... And seeing as I have had her for 2 months now and I am her 3rd, and last home, it is actually understandable that she would mark.... However housetraining is the only issue I have with her... As she normally doesn't bark a lot, she doesn't tear things up, and she is a pretty mellozw little girl.... So I guess we continue to work harder on this issue... We have crated her, used babygates, strict schedules, restricted meal times..... And nothing works....

So who knows... I am new to this breed also, and she is the first puppy I have. Had to deal with.. my parents always dealt with the rest....

DFowler

Sorry you are having to go through all of that. Isabella is doing well with housebreaking so far. She will use a pee pad if I don't get her outside in time. I am surprised that the crate doesn't work for you. Does she have anxiety of any sorts? I know a lot of dogs chew and tear up things when they have separation anxiety. I'm certainly no expert just making suggestions. I hope you can figure something out.

jazzaria

Spekkle is doing wonderful.... As far as seperation anxiety I am unclear as she has never tore anything up, chewed on anything that was not hers, she does not bark hardly at all... Just the issues with house training...

She was sleeping in bed with me and then she piddled in the bed so she was moved to the crate, then I noticed that she was piddling in her beds/blankets before she would lay in them..( after going out) she also will come in from going potty and piddled or poop on the floor even if just a trickle or tiny poop, and she will step/roll in it and track the floor.... I took her to the vet and had her checked for an UTI, and I was told that she should outgrow some of it and that they thought that she was marking.. hence the spaying yesterday....

Today Spekkle has returned to a more tired version of her normal self... But we have not had a single potty accident.. even when crated... She has barked every single time she needs to go out, which she has never done... I am still giving her a treat every time we go out, one small piece of hot dog for piddling and one small piece when she poops, so with luck we will have a breakthru? I would love to have my little girl back in the bed with me soon....

jazzaria

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a normally extremely active 5 month old puppy from being herself? When I picked up from being spayed they said she couldn't run, jump,play, or climb, and to keep a cone on her constantly unless I was watching her .. For the next 10 days.. that was Friday night... Well its Sunday night and I go back to work in the morning... The kids and I have kept her pretty mellow basically by keeping her in our laps, with small periods of play time, however she has continuously brought us her toys to play fetch and chase with....

But it is Sunday night and although she hasn't had a potty accident I am not sure that I trust her enough yet to allow her back into the bed regularly at night... So I placed her back into the bathroom... Well miss thing climbed over the baby gate... After just having had surgery and with the cone on!!! Quite a feat.. I have a crate for her and aparently I am going to have to use this during the next few days, however she has never been still in this she will walk around on her back feet in circles... So she is now worrying me that she is going to do something to injure herself.... Obviously leaving her in the bathroom is not an option as she is probably just going to climb out, and that in itself can b dangerous....