Some Puppy Q's

debjohn

Hi. Still fairly new here. Vinnie is 4-1/2 months old. I have some questions I'd like some feedback on if possible:

1) Is it really possible to "loose leash" train a mini doxie? I've been walking him the "wrong" way since I got him. Now he's in puppy class and the right way seems impossible.
2) Has anyone gotten a mini doxie to stop chasing their cat? She's a 9-year old Siamese and has scratched him more than once, but he doesn't seem to mind. He just keeps chasing her.
3) Does anyone have a doxie with ribs that poke out like wings? Vet says normal, but it sure looks odd.
4) All the dogs he encounters on walks, the dog park, and puppy class are bigger than him, so he has to stand on his hind legs the whole time he greets and plays. He LOVES playing with them, but I'm concerned about the hind legs thing being hard on his back. Should I be concerned? (And where are all the short dogs?)

Thanks for any feedback anyone can give!
ML,
Deb J.

Inkeri

1) Yes, it is, but it takes time and patience. :) My dachsie learnt it when he was about 1,5yrs old. Until then it was training traning training.

2) This could be a tricky one since dachsies are hunting dogs and the cat is running away... Our cats are so used to dogs that they know it's not a good idea to run away so we've had no problems. Fortunately.

4) Of course it's not the healthiest thing for him to stand like that, but on the other hand, what can you do to stop him? My other dachsie won't stand on his hind legs, but the other one even walks like that. They won't do anything that hurts them or feels uncomfortable. But I would be careful when letting him play with bigger dogs. Dogs don't always see the size-difference when playing.

Good luck with the training! And all the best for the little guy! :)

Lupita

My older Doxie learned to loose-leash walk, but I have to remind her sometimes. It take a lot of patience. I haven't even started trying with the 7 month old yet.

My younger dog has the wing-ribs. The vet says it's normal.

I don't let Lacy (the younger one) play with big dogs. I mean, they're all bigger than her, but more than three times her size is my limit. She goes to daycare twice a week and is put in appropriate playgroups. She also has lots of small dog friends. My older dog is allowed to play with big dogs that are calm, because she's pretty calm too and just runs around. The puppy jumps up like yours and wrestles, so it's too risky for her to play with the big guys.

debjohn

Thanks to both of you for your feedback!! It really helps. Dachshunds seem different than other dogs in so many ways. It's good to touch bases with other owners.
ML,
Deb J.