Snapping at my young child, what do I do?

ILoveLucy

We've had Lucy for a couple of months now and although she's a good gentle dog, she has snapped at my four year-old a few times. I'm not really sure why she snapped. It was never during play (Lucy rarely plays) and my dd doesn't rough house. Lucy snapped at her when dd was petting her, gently. I'm very careful about the two of them since from the start I could sense that Lucy was leary of my daughter.

I don't know her history other than that she was apparently used as a breeder and has been somewhat of a companion dog. I don't think she likes children a whole lot, and honestly, I don't blame her if she was ever around rowdyness or rough handled by kids.

So, from the start I always made sure my dd is gentle with Lucy. DD never jumps on her, or tries to pick her up or anything like that. She's never tried to lay on her or dominate her in any way. Only gentle petting/patting on the head. I haven't had to stop her from doing any of these things, my dd has just never done those things. I would be very surprised if someone told me that she jumped on, pulled on, or did any of the obnoxious things kids can do to dogs. It's just not 'her'.

Anyhow, I'd started letting Lucy sleep on the bed with us. I of course had to lift her up there and lift her down too. It was also an easy an comfortable place to leave Lucy if I had to leave the house for a couple of hours as I knew she couldn't and wouldn't jump down.

One night, we were getting ready for bed and Lucy was 'ready' and excitedly pointing to the top of the bed with her nose so I'd lift her up, and I did. Then dd and I went to another room to finish getting ready. I sent my dd in the bedroom to go ahead and put her blanket (her security blanket) on the bed (I'm a single mom and we co-sleep, always have). I heard Lucy snap loudly at my dd when she went to the bed to put her blanket up there. !!! This wasn't the first time she'd snapped at her but it was worse than any other time. They would have been about eye level with each other at the time. She only snaps when I'm not looking (or she thinks I'm not). She's never broken the skin or left a mark, otherwise she'd be gone. (sorry, just can't take that much of a chance)

My guess is that Lucy thought the bed was 'hers' and my dd wasn't allowed on there unless I was in the bed too. ???

I've since stopped letting Lucy sleep on the bed or get on the bed at all. Same for the furniture. That's best for her anyway bc doxies are prone to back injurries.

Can anyone offer an insight as to why Lucy might be snapping at my daughter? Is this a dominance thing and I need to set the pecking order? Is this a previous trauma? I can't tell if maybe she was someone's 'baby' and nothing came before her, and she thinks that is her lot now as well . . . ?

I'm no expert on how to deal with this. I can only share my experience which is that Milo would growl and snap when I was sleeping with him and my husband tried to get into bed. It was worse if the dog was already asleep and startled awake. Over time the behavior faded. We didn't do much, just wake him with gentle talking and I guess he just got used to the situation.
Of course, if you ever want to try again you should be in bed before Lucy.

ILoveLucy

Thanks! I suppose some of it could be an adjustment for Lucy. I did let her back on the couch with me today for some snuggle time. She absolutely loves to take naps in my lap (Lucy, not dd). I like having her sleep with us so that she feels part of the family.
Lucy really is a good dog, she just has a slight issue with children. And other dogs. And being bossed around. :rolleyes:

PD is a possessive dog. He has always slept with us, but has never been happy with guests. He grew up with Henry, but we still had to negotiate things if PD was in bed first. Now we have Frank, and PD has absolute control over the bed. Frank has learned it is easier to simply go into the den to sleep. We haven't fought it, because Frank also thinks he can fly, and has jumped off the bed before.

When the grand children are here, we have to watch carefully as PD seems to resent the affection we give them.

I think you've done the right thing to keep your dog off the bed. It sounds like she's got the message to leave dd alone, but she may still resent the affection you give.

Solutions? We haven't been consistent enough in our attempts at settling PD to give you good advice.

ILoveLucy

She's not snapped once since I started keeping her off the bed and the couch (except for some extra/special lovin' because she's having tummy trouble). Funny thing, she snapped before I ever let her on the furniture. They're doing fine now. Lucy does seem to be warming up to my daughter.

I will miss having Lucy's warm little belly to stick my toes under to sleep.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
There's a book called "Mine!" BY Jean Donaldson It's about resource guarding, and may be a very good book for you. I also have a Doxie that had severe resource guarding issues. He'd guard food, bones, toys people, furniture, his space... anything and everything.

I dont believe in "pack Theory" and dogs trying to rule the world (dominance) Resource guarding is due to anxiety that what they want most will be taken away. This is often prevalent in dogs who are "spoiled" and get everything for free. I began making Boo sit or lay down everytime he wanted up on the furniture, I also didn't let him on at all for a few weeks. then asked for a sit or a down each and every time. He's 100% better now, and no longer tries to bite anyone who touches him if he's on the couch or in my arms.

ILoveLucy

Thanks guys. :) I've been making Lucy 'work' for what she wants now too. I'd heard about the 'nothing is free' theory/method, and decided to give it a go.

I've been getting down on the floor with her and working her over with sit/down(which she hates and won't do unless I make her)/stay/up- with treats, then we play with a toy for a little bit and after that she's ready for some lovin and to settle back down. Honestly, working her over like that is helping in all areas with her. I also make her sit before I set her food on the floor or give her any treat. I also go to her and pet and praise her when she's sitting quietly and relaxed, everytime she pees outside, or does anything 'good'.

Today, upon leaving the house, I looked all around for Lucy to kennel her. Finally, I asked dd if she'd seen Lucy and she said "yeah mom, Lucy's in her kennel." DD had successfully gotten her in her kennel without me even noticing and without a treat. That's huge!!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yayyyy good job!!! Not spoiling them really does help, doesn't it :)

I am a clicker trainer, and strive to be positive only, however, my dogs have rules that they must obey, and are not spoiled. You can be a positive treat trainer, without spoiling your dog :)

ILoveLucy

Thanks!

I'd like to try a clicker too because it can be hard to train/work with a four-year old over my shoulder repeating everything I say. Thankfully Lucy's had some pretty good training before and I've just learned what 'watch me' means (thanks to another member on here) and that Lucy knows what it means too. Anyway, with frequent distractions I think a clicker might be the right tool for us.