Site addon requests

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Now that the upgrade is complete. I am looking for any suggestions and comments on the site. What do you like or not like. Do you have any suggestions for the site or are there any addons you would like to see

Tikki

I would like tw0 things, the first I do not think you can do, is that more people post, but what I would like is a choice of bacikground colour. This is much better but is really much tooo bright for visually impaired people such a I. I either find myself mis-typing or I have to type a word over and over again because I cannot see what I have written as it is so bright,

I am a touch typist but to post on this forum I have to check every word I typel

Last edited:

Tikki

I have just gone through the last few posts I made and found more typos than I had ever made in my ancient years - because I cannot see them in such a bright white background.

It may be fine for others [those who actually bother to join the site and actually post] but the majority of message boards have the ability to choose background colours - although that is on vBulletin. I do not know about the one you have now changed to.

I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser and for message boards usage, and Windows 10

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
What why would you have to pay? I paid for the software already.. And I had to previously pay for vbulletin.. And I pay for the server every month..members don't have to pay anything to use the site. It's my hobby..... When I get time I am going to make a theme with a dark background. I was thinking a med grey ..thoughts

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it's part of the admin panel. I'm still leaning the new software but I am very happy with it!

Tikki

Something that is bothering me slightly. The date and time are in a very small and pale print under the actual post. This means having to read through the whole message to find when it was actually posted.

This might not sound a problem but reading something interesting and then finding it was written far too long ago to respond to can be confusing, especially if it asks a question that had not been answered and which I could have answered and helped with.

Is there any way that the date/time of posting can be at the top of the message, as it is on all other fora I am on?

Tikki

Another thing, although this might easily be just something I have not found yet. There does not appear to be a "go to the last read post" button - at lease not one I have yet found.

Is it me just not looking in the correct place? I just want to get this place up and running as I think it should be, and if I find something difficult when I am well used to other sites/fora, it is quite possible a new member might take a look and think oh no, needs an expert to do this, that, or t'other.

I will probably find it but so far I can only get to first post in a thread or last post in that thread. Not the last read post.

Apologies if I am driving you nuts with questions etc but even with only a half Doxie I have fallen in love with the breed and want to do all I can to help the site. And that includes having send a message on an open forum to someone I know is a member here but has not posted for ages - I had to do that as there is no PM system on that forum. I just said he was needed here.

Juli

Tikki

Please do not shoot me but I have found another bug. A post of mine was not accepted as it was over 420 characters but it was nowhere near that. Just two lines. I even counted the characters to make sure it was not over 420, which would have been impossible.

I even tried answering the question by saying "I will check and get back to you" - still got the message that was over 420 characters and no, I had not done a copy so the OPs post could not count. This was a separate post but it would not go through.

Sorry but I think you have a bug.

Last edited:

Tikki

Thank you, but that little blue button only shows at the beginning of a section where there is a new thread, not at the beginning of each thread in the section where there is a new or unread post. So it means scrolling through each thread in the section and checking if there has been a new post in any of them.

Unless I am doing something wrong.

Gies

Thank you, but that little blue button only shows at the beginning of a section where there is a new thread, not at the beginning of each thread in the section where there is a new or unread post. So it means scrolling through each thread in the section and checking if there has been a new post in any of them. Unless I am doing something wrong.
Not the way I see it, in my case the forum standard opens in the "Home" tab, this way I see immediately in what thread there is a new post.
What I miss on the home page is a "all threads read" button.

Tikki

Ah - I have the actual forum set to open when I switch to the tab - actually as I never switch off my PC but just set it on "Sleep",everything automatically opens as I left it. When I click on the forum I then click on "New Posts" to see if there is anything new. As I have four Windows open, each with a number of tabs, plus three "Edge" windows open, also with a number of tabs [do not ask] it means that when I wake my PC up everything is where I left it.

Luckily my PC, which was built for me, does what I want, as I am basically computer illiterate and totally self taught, and I have learned over time to set it how I want it. Not that I know what I am doing most of the time but it seems to work!

Regarding "all threads read" on this site- that shows up as "Mark Forums Read" on the line under "Home, Forums" etc immediately under "Home".

It has been a steep learning curve for me but mostly I get there. If not I know enough to close and restart my PC instead of panicking and calling my computer guru!

But I am still learning this site, just had to when changing from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate, and now to Windows 10. There are differences in all of them, just as there are differences in this site from others, especially since the change from vBulletin. And there is a difference from vBulletin to this new software. As I get used to it I like it more and more, but bugs do creep in as they do everywhere, which is why I am no doubt driving poor Admin round the bend!

Tikki

Can we please have a separate section on Feeding, with advice about kibble, tinned, wet and/or raw feeding. I know I can give advice regarding trustworthy links to kibble of tinned foods, and have a lot of experience and knowledge about raw feeding and necessary supplements which, I think might help some Doxie moms.

At the moment I cannot find a specific section but think it could be very useful and I am fully prepared to give as much help that might be needed.

Last edited:

Tikki

OK - having thought how to start the OP of this new section, I think I have worded it correctly and understandably.

I hope you agree with this.

Tikki

Now that the upgrade is complete. I am looking for any suggestions and comments on the site. What do you like or not like. Do you have any suggestions for the site or are there any addons you would like to see
Looking through the various sections, there are two that I think are superfluous.

There have been only two threads in the Flea Market under "The Market Place", the latest having been posted in August 2012. That one had no replies, the other thread, posted in January 2012 having had just two replies.

In addition, Movie Reviews in the "Misc. Section" has had no posts whatsoever.

Are these two sections necessary to the Forum?

One section is good but the title can be rather off-putting. "Dachshund Educational Archives" sounds rather archaic. Some of the threads could have been just as effective [or otherwise] under the section "Dachshund Related Chat" but some, I think, would be better in a separate section "Dachshund Health and Genetics".

What do you think?