She bites her older brother!

Ilovemylily

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how i can get my lil dachi to stop bitting and attacking her older brother. She is 6 months old and loves to play with her 5 year old brother poodle! But she is too rough!!! She butes his ears, his upper lip?! Until he cries and has to hide! If there are a million toys around she only wants the one he has! Im sure its very frustratin for him so i want to stop this! Any suggestions!?

Steph

Sounds like Arelus. He loves to rough house with my older boys. Hermes will usually give in and play while Hercules has to run and hide. Sounds like your poodle needs to tell your pup that he doesn't appreciate her being so rough and that's about the only way she's really going to learn. Arelus had to learn that as well, the older boys will tell him that they don't want to play and then Arelus has to play by himself or try and coax one of us (including the cat)to play with him.

She's the little one that had parvo, right? It may also be that she's lost out on some of her prime learning time during that period and she has to re-learn. When you see her getting ready to go after your older boy, try and distract her (loud noise, squeaky toy etc) so that he has enough time to make an exit or...you can wait until he's fed up with her antics and tells her he's had it. It won't look or sound pretty, but she'll get the message. The other thing you can do is look in to puppy kindergarten classes for her. They are great tools for teaching puppies how to socialize with other dogs - including the ones they already live with. Good luck!

Ilovemylily

Those are some really good ideas!!!thnks ya well everytime she does it the poodle whos name is noddles just looks at me, like saying do somethibg! So it makes me feel really bad! Ya she did had parvo so thts probably it to shes extremely hyper now like she just runs around like for no reason even after taking her on long walks and hikes but i will look into those clases

Steph

Noodles is deferring to you as the pack leader to discipline her, but he has to stand up for himself too. He can't always run and hide behind your skirt - so to speak, lol.

Classes of any kind are great. Arelus still takes classes to keep him social with other dogs (he has little man syndrome sometimes) He just finished his Level 1 Obedience and in the fall I'm looking to do Level 2 and maybe some agility or rally with him.

Ilovemylily

Yahh i totally agre like if he stood up for himself just once tht might show her he doesnt want her doing that but! Noodles life partner who resently moved to another state(trixy) was always the leader, she always stepped first andd he followed and she wouldnt let him eat next to her she would growl at him if he got cclose so i dont know if he is just lime that or if it can change

PrettyPenny

Noodles is deferring to you as the pack leader to discipline her, but he has to stand up for himself too. He can't always run and hide behind your skirt - so to speak, lol.

Classes of any kind are great. Arelus still takes classes to keep him social with other dogs (he has little man syndrome sometimes) He just finished his Level 1 Obedience and in the fall I'm looking to do Level 2 and maybe some agility or rally with him.
Just wanted to point out that the "pack leader" mentality has been debunked and is not the most effective method to use in training. Not trying to be rude, just saying. Ceasar Milan's methods can actually scar your dog and ruin your relationship with them.

Anyways, good advice has been given. Another thing to try..when she gets too rough, go put her away. If she is crate trained, put her in her crate. If she is not, put her in a quiet room for a while. This can work to teach her that when she gets too rough, playtime is over and she will learn to tone down so she can keep playing. Be consistent. Also, be aware that she will grow out of it if training doesn't work...it's a puppy stage, lol. Try taking her to a dog park so she can get some socialization....if she plays with another dog like that, and they correct her by barking at her, that is a good thing because it will teach her what behavior is and is not acceptable in dog world. Your poodle doesn't correct her, so she cant learn that from him. Some dogs will correct her, so I'd try to get her socialized. Hope I helped!

Steph

I wasn't referring to anything that Cesar said. I never look to any of Cesar's methods - I'm not a fan. It sounds like Noodles is a soft heart/ submissive type and that he was looking for someone (his Mom) to save him.

As for dog parks, I would never recommend them. You never know the social level of the dogs there and they can be quite detrimental to a learning puppy especially if they get attacked - I have heard of and seen this on several occasions. That's why I recommended Puppy Kindergarten.

Last edited:

Ilovemylily

Thanks so much guys! Ummm i will work with her! I understand she was diqn for more that a month im sure she feels shes got tons of energy! And about pupoy socializing classes i looked up the petsmart one but they said they proly wont take her cause shes deaf.. I will kepp loOking tho!!!:)

PrettyPenny

Thanks so much guys! Ummm i will work with her! I understand she was diqn for more that a month im sure she feels shes got tons of energy! And about pupoy socializing classes i looked up the petsmart one but they said they proly wont take her cause shes deaf.. I will kepp loOking tho!!!:)
Seriously? I work at PetSmart...it's against policy for them to deny you because of that.

Steph

Handle With Care Dog Training - Positive Training

This lady is in the Salt Lake City area, check out her website, shoot her an email and I will have a chat with the trainers I work with and see if they know of anybody else in your area that belongs to the IPDTA (International Positive Dog Trainers Association) and I'll let you know. There has to be someone out there that can help you with her and the fact that she's hearing impaired :)

russelgrane

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how i can get my lil dachi to stop bitting and attacking her older brother. She is 6 months old and loves to play with her 5 year old brother poodle! But she is too rough!!! She butes his ears, his upper lip?! Until he cries and has to hide! If there are a million toys around she only wants the one he has! Im sure its very frustratin for him so i want to stop this! Any suggestions!?

I think you should have to make him more socialized, this will help him to make new friends. I will recommend you to take both of them to the park together for a walk and play with them together this will help them to get closer.

Ilovemylily

Oh my well now that u mention that here's his background, he was a backyard dog all his life! Except for when I moved in my husbands house, now I take him to the park or run every day
His fine then but if other dogs get close he wants to fight last play date I got him he beat up the other doggie:/ but were trying...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Petsmart and Petco take deaf dogs, however if the trainer isn't experienced, dont even look at them.

Ilovemylily

Ya I will enroll her in that they said they can work with her, I have looked into a lot of trainers here and their prices are in the $800 to 1,500 too much for my pocket!:/

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Petsmart uses clicker training methods, sort of. they dont make you but want you to try. You are going to have to train a thumbs-up as a clicker, and clapping as a "good dog" You only give a thumbs up when you will reward her after.