Severe separation anxiety

Ozzie1262

Hi me and my girlfriend are the proud owners of our dachshund boy Hugo. I’m writing to you as a last attempt to correct his separation anxiety which has become unbearable for not just us but him as well. Hugo is 17 months old, he has a very loveable personality and he is extremely clever.
However when we attempt to leave him even if it is for a few minutes he will howl and bark uncontrollably we live in a first floor flat and you can imagine the neighbours have not been impressed. I have tried 3 dog trainers who have all promised me the world that this problem can be sorted but more than a year later and hundreds of pounds later we are not able to go to the supermarket or put the bins out without Hugo absolutely losing the plot. We have had 4 dog sitters hand him back to us and will not put up with him and we have exhausted trying to juggle between family members to look after him.
I have tried every calming medication in the market.
We have and are still doing crate training he sleeps in the living room in the evening with no trouble and he comes to work with me some days of the week he stays out the back again with no trouble. I am left in a catch 22 situation as I’m in a position now that neither of us can live in this situation for much longer, I’ve exhausted all avenues and would like to know what your honest opinion would be on this case.
We love him very much and do not want to go through with having to re home him I feel he his not our pet I feel we are his pet.

Chariya

Get him a bark collar, I know some people think it's cruel. I had a female Dachshund that had separation anxiety pretty bad. The first day living in my apartment after my ex wife and I separated the apartment manager notified me I needed to do something with my barking dog. So I went that day and bought a bark collar and it worked. I asked the manager if she hears my dog anymore and she said no. I did eventually get a retired breeder Dachshund as a friend for my original dog which helped her more to have a friend when I went to work. I still use a bark collar on my current Dachshund, she doesn't have separation anxiety, she just likes to bark at everything.

Ozzie1262

Hey thanks for advice I have used a bark collar and he just seems immune to it like it has no effect he literally seems immune to anything. we keep on with just trying to leave him for 10 mins or so at a time he is just so clingy not sure what else to do even the professionals find it hard to admit they can’t do anything.