Saying Goodbye...

sherlock

NOTE: This is going to be insanely long.

I got a call from my dad last night. One that I knew was probably coming soon, but I was dreading it.

He asked what I was doing today (my answer: "uh...laundry.") He told me to come to their house. When I asked why, he said "Josie. She's really sick, honey."

My heart immediately broke, there in the card aisle at Walmart while I was trying to figure out which thank you cards to get. Not an ideal place to get that call.

I haven't talked about Josie too much on here. She's a beagle. We adopted her when I was 13 (I'm 23 now.) On my birthday, when I blew out my candles, my mom asked me what I wished for. I told her, "The same thing I've wished for since I was 4. A dog" (I don't remember this at all, but that's what my mom has told me. Apparently she then looked at my dad and said "Just get the kid a dog.") About a month or so later, my dad and I began going around to different shelters, looking at dogs. We must have checked 5 or 6 different shelters, looking for a dog that was just right.

Finally we found her. I loved beagles, ever since I read the "Shiloh" series as a kid, She was perfect.

Well...we thought so at first. See, this dog had been feral out on some farms in a small town, until she started chasing the farmers' chickens and they called animal control. She had no "pet" in her...just dog. Within 30 minutes of bringing her home, she found a hole under our fence and escaped into the field/wooded area behind my parents house. (We finally caught her.)

It took us a few days to name her. Her name in the shelter was BARBIE of all things, but I know it was probably just the next female name in the book. It got to the point that my mom was just rattling off name after name. Finally she said Josie, and we all looked at each other (me, mom, dad, and my sister) and we just knew it was right. (My sister and I were big fans of the movie Josie and the Pussycats.)

But this dog was nothing but trouble, which soon became her middle name. She would constantly dig out of the yard, has been sprayed by skunks about 6 times, and bitten by copperheads 4 or 5 times. But nothing would ever stop her. She also learned not to go up to the neighbors after escaping from the yard. They would grab her collar and bring her right home. She would go up to each neighbor once, and then never again because she knew they would bring her back. There were times she'd be gone for 10, 12 hours. We learned not to look for her because it didn't matter. We'd just open the back gate, because she would come home when she was done.

She was my best friend for years. When I went away to college, she would freak when I came home on weekends. It was like those videos of dogs seeing their soldier-owner come home after deployment. It was the best thing ever, because no matter what my week had been like, I always knew she would be so happy to see me. It was even better once I got my own apartment with DH and didn't come home as often.

Josie has been sick for a while now. It started with a small hole/pocket in her gum. Hair and stuff would get impacted in it from chewing on herself. The vet showed my mom and dad how to go in with tweezers and pull it out, but it started getting worse, and she stopped letting them do it. The vet said that she could pull the tooth, but at her age (13) it was risky to put her under. But now it's infected something awful.

Recently she stopped eating much, so my dad switched her to wet food. And then even that was too much. I was home last weekend and watched my dad feed her for 15 minutes. She was eating some Moist 'n Meaty, so he'd put down a small handful, wait for her to eat it, and then give her a bit more. Her would even give her small handfuls of cat food because it was small enough she didn't have to chew it.

When he called last night, he said she hadn't eaten in two days. He had to help her stand up and lay down.

He said it was time to say goodbye.

I drove down today. When I called to let them know I was on my way, my mom told me, "You know you don't have to come." I told her to shut up, because yes I did.

I sat with Josie for a long time. She was laying on her doggy bed. She still hadn't eaten, and she wasn't drinking much water, either. She was shivering, and her body temperature was low. We put blankets on her to help.

I just sat their, petting my girl and telling her she was pretty and that I love her. It took me at least half an hour to leave because I kept having to go see her again. I didn't want it to be the last time.

My dad is taking her to the vet tomorrow. Her body is shutting down, and we don't want her to suffer anymore. My mom told me that she asked my dad the other night what they were going to do, and he said, "Keep her company." Not comfortable, but keep her company.

I still can't really believe it. I knew she was getting old, and that she was getting sick, but I just always thought she had longer.

I've been going through crying bouts all day. My parents would just hug me, and say they were sorry. I don't think DH totally understands my pain (he's never had a pet of his own until Watson. His mom had some cats, but no pets that were ever his.) He keeps asking if I'm okay, and telling me he's sorry, but I don't think he really understands the depth of my grief.

So that's why I'm posting on here. I wanted to tell Josie's story. We would always say that she was a really bad pet but a really good dog. But no matter what, she was always my favorite girl and my best friend, and she gave these great hugs where I would sit on the floor and hug her around the neck, and she would throw her head up against mine.

I just can't believe that tomorrow she'll be gone.

And if any of you took the time to read all of this...thank you.

Last edited:

GJBain

It is the toughest thing to do. Sorry to hear about this. The toughest day of my life was June 3rd 2013. I miss you Sam. You are my girl.

CaseyKC

You have my deepest sympathy and understanding. I've been there and only time can take the pain and leave the good memories. Casey

Nell

So sorry to hear your sad news. I too grew up with a beagle, Yogi Bear. They are the most lovely of dogs, they can be very independent and stubborn but you only have to look into those eyes and your heart melts.

Your lovely dog has been very lucky to have you and I hope you find some comfort in knowing he had the best friend a dog could want for xx.

sherlock

Thank you, everyone.

My dad had an appointment at the vet's this evening (they do those procedures at the end of the day) so she'll be gone soon, or maybe she already is and my dad just hasn't called me again.

When he made the appointment he made sure to ask if they can do her paw prints for me, which they will. (Like getting baby footprints when they're born.)

So that's it. I've been trying to stay positive today. It helps that I'm a bit removed, since she didn't live with me. It also helps that I have Dr. Watson...I've been giving him lots of extra love, just because it makes me feel better.

crystalclear1027

You and your family gave her a happy life, that's what friends are for! I am truly sorry that you have to go through this heartache, you will always have the memories of her!

sherlock

The one thing that's still got me pretty upset (and I start crying if I think about it) is that my dad didn't stay with her when she went. He said he just couldn't bear it, which I guess I understand.

I just really hope she was too out of it to notice (she hadn't eaten in several days) and she wasn't scared that he left her with new people and then she never saw him again before she was gone.

crystalclear1027

I couldn't be with my precious boy either, I think about it all the time, but I just couldn't do it, I didn't want him to see or hear me crying, it made him cry, and I didn't want him to get upset because he was a very emotional doxi.

babysis

She had a good, long life. It sucks to go through it. Just know that she is no longer in pain and you will all see each other again someday! It's extremely hard to be in the room when they do it...I couldn't be in the vet with my lab. Hang in there...keep talking it out. Let the bouts of crying out too, it will help you. Sorry the pain of loss sucks! ~Sending hugs your way~

Nell

I do understand why it is so hard to be there at the end . Can I just say though to reassure you that I have been with many dogs over the years in those final moments and have always found it a great comfort to know and see how peaceful it is.

The trouble with not being there is your imagination can go into overdrive and you are left wondering whether they were in pain or suffering at all.

So please don't worry, it really is very peaceful, they just go to sleep exactly the same as if they were falling asleep on your lap. I have never seen a dog struggle or be distressed and they are not in any pain.

Loosing a beloved dog is one of the hardest things to do but if they suffering in any way it really can be the kindest thing you can do for them .

sherlock

Thank you for your support, everyone. I know it's very peaceful for them, I just hope she wasn't nervous before hand, when my dad left.

The strangest thing happened today. Watson and I went to the dog park, like we usually do on Sunday when the weather is nice. There was a beagle there, a very pretty girl who looked almost exactly like Josie, minus some of the white markings my Josie had. So I went up to her and was petting her and stuff, and then I looked at her nametag...and her name was Josie. It was almost surreal, and quite shocking. It's not that common of a name, you know?

Weird.

Nell

Its really strange how things can happen sometimes isn't it, I hope it brought you some comfort. :)

sherlock

Had to share the picture my dad just sent me!!!

When they said they could get her paw prints, I assumed it would just be her prints and name on a piece of cardstock...I certainly wasn't expecting this!!! It's very nice, because I think about how someone took the time and care to make this for me, and that makes it so very special!!

Sometime in the near future I plan on getting her paw print as a tattoo.

Attachments

CaseyKC

In 2005, my Kathy's heart began to fail. She was 15 and a half years old, also a beagle. The vet said to watch her and to bring her in either when she appeared to be in distress or pain. She grew weaker, but no pain. My son was coming home for Christmas that year and I hoped to keep her pain free until he deployed for the Middle East. I fed her with human baby formula and strained baby liver through a turkey baster and carried her outdoors to do business. She rallied while he was home, but shortly after he deployed, she couldn't get out of her little bed in the morning and I took her to the vet where she died in my arms. Then I began second guessing my decision to let her go. I questioned whether she would have improved and if I should have given her more time. I was truly grieving and miserable for weeks and weeks. One night I dreamed I was at a party and Kathy walked in. She was young and healthy, and happy in my dream. She told me to get on with my life, that she was fine, and not to worry. Oddly, in my dream, I didn't question what Kathy was doing at a party, or why she could talk to me. I woke up after that and remembered the dream. I actually felt the weight of grief lift from my heart. I often wonder if my brain was comforting me, or if Kathy somehow found a way to come back to assure me that she was okay. I prefer to think it was Kathy coming back. Maybe your encounter with another beagle named Josie was the same thing. Your Josie could have had a paw in arranging your meeting to let you know she is fine.