Running with a mini dachshund?

megan123

I have a very, VERY active 3 year old male mini who I feel would benefit from getting more energy out via exercise - he currently doesn't get much. He is a bit of a troublemaker - very dog aggressive and has a one track mind so cannot be off the leash. We don't have a fenced in yard...if we did I feel like he'd literally be out there 8 hours a day just running around.

I was thinking of taking up jogging with him for some mental stimulation and exercise. I'm just wondering if anyone else runs with their dachshund and how that goes.

Any other suggestions for places/ways to exercise would be awesome!

wendaustin

I have a very, VERY active 3 year old male mini who I feel would benefit from getting more energy out via exercise - he currently doesn't get much. He is a bit of a troublemaker - very dog aggressive and has a one track mind so cannot be off the leash. We don't have a fenced in yard...if we did I feel like he'd literally be out there 8 hours a day just running around.

I was thinking of taking up jogging with him for some mental stimulation and exercise. I'm just wondering if anyone else runs with their dachshund and how that goes.

Any other suggestions for places/ways to exercise would be awesome!
Take him to a vet..

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I am not a runner, and neither are my doxies, however, I would think runnong with your boy would be completely safe. Just make sure to condition properly :)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

COCO

I use to run with my old daxie years ago, more to keep him entertained though as he could never really maintain a strong pace. All depends on what sort of pace you want to run at, something like interval training might be better than a straight run as that will give your little man a chance to recover on the 'rest' periods!

I'm a runner and I have always wanted to try taking my boy with me... I asked the vet about it and she said it would be best to start by taking him on increasingly long walks to help build up stamina, and then you can start light jogging at shorter distances than the walks and build up from there. ***Its important they aren't pulling on the lead too much though because it hurts their back (obviously) and tires them out faster and is just not good lol!

I'm on the long walking stage with my Biggie right now. He's doing pretty good so far and I'm just waiting for his stamina to get a little bit higher before we can start some short jogs! Good luck!