Rescued Doxie behavior problems

PamB.

Hi..I really need some help! My BF found my doxie on a busy two lane road..He was very scared,skinny,no collar or tag,no chip etc.
He was also not fixed.
I have had him now for about four months or it seems that long anyway..
He has not progressed much..
Right from the beginning he ran to me and got behind my back and sat shaking...He is bonded with me and acts like a normal young dog...the trouble is ,he now barks at everyone but me in the house..He has not let up or he shakes and pees him self ...
He also started using my bed as his toilet!! I can not seem to get him to stop!
he pee's my bed,my couches etc,,,
He sleeps with me in that bed,so I find this strange behavior,wetting in his own bed?
I have now bought painters plastic to throw over my bed and couches..I have tried the pet odor remover stuff ,does not work!
I am beside myself and I am trying to do everything I can to keep this little guy..
I have had him fixed ,chipped and his shots about a month after I got him...
I do not know what is wrong with him...?? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

melnal

Doxie Owner
Ah DO NOT GIVE UP! :) Have you tried purchasing a crate for the dog? We got a Doxie from a rescue group, and heard about all of her "quirky" behaviors. Then we realized that it wasn't weird, just "doxie"! They often bond with one person, but if there's someone else in the house then try letting that person hand-feed the dog a bit, give treats, and engage in training. I'd say crate the dog at night and when you're not home, then, when the dog has proven not to soil the crate, maybe re-introduce him to the bed?

I wish you GREAT success!

Nell

I agree with Melnal's post. Sounds to me like he is really scared, if I were you to help with the barking at other people ask everyone else to totally ignore him when they come in, not to approach him or give any eye contact. If he comes to them to have a sniff then make sure they have a treat to give him then they can ignore him again. If he will not even get close to them ask them to gently throw the treat in his direction when he makes eye contact with them.

Food is the best help in training dachshunds so I am sure this will win him round a bit.

As for the wetting the bed this HAS to stop and it may take a while to break the habit. NO getting on the bed, if you don't want to crate him and you would like him to be close then create a safe place next to your bed (you can then put your hand down to comfort him). I would use a large very high sided open top crate, big enough for a bed at one end and a puppy pad at the other end. It sounds like he hasn't learnt to hold his bladder so it will be too much to expect him to go all night, if he can move off his bed onto the puppy pad to pee it will break the habit of peeing on the bed. I am afraid he will have to be kept off the bed for a long time before it is reintroduced otherwise you will probably be right back at the beginning. It will be worth it in the long run though.

I would only allow him on the couch when you are with him, can you block it off some how so he cant get up when you are not in the room?

I do hope things work out, hang in there, this pup was lucky to find you, patience and consistency is the key.