Rescue dog whining food and attention

Moo bag

Hi all,

Hi all,

Day 6 but night 2 with a delightful 8 yr old character, from rescue home however I'm finding the following tiring.

Won't leave my side at all very clingy and needs/nuzzles for constant affection, climbs all over me. If I don't look at him he whines. Cannot relax at all unless he is all over me. I'm ignoring this as much as I can and leaving the room , gave my daughter a bag of treats this eve to see if he can start to bond with her. So far it's been me feeding so need to break the cycle I have created I guess. Past owner clearly a lady on her own I think as any woman who comes in he will do this with.

Other thing is food /obsessed with it , I'm feeding twice a day max half a cup along with apples, carrots chicken for snacks if goes potty - which he does!!! But have to lock him out of the kitchen if cooking or eating as the whining starts

Walking no road sense and will stop in the middle of the road - by now I'm thinking he's pretty much been a lap dog not walked much he is over weight!

I'm so tired I've put him to bed with some toys and so far not heard a peep but it's only 7.45pm is he gonna be up 5am???

Help I don't know what I'm doing!:eek:

Penny

Hi there and welcome from Canada!
The first thing that struck me was the amount of food he's getting! That's LOTS. How much does he weigh, and how over weight is he? Could we some some pics from the side?

It does take them a while to settle in and feel at home. If you got him from rescue, what advice have they given you? Was he in rescue a while?

Be sure to keep him on a leash when not in a fenced yard, you really can't trust them to have road sense. Even opening the front door, if he's seen something outside that was interesting like a bird or squirrel, he may run out when the door gets open.

We have adopted all 3 of our current ones as adults and it went pretty well. I think though having a dog already settled in helps the newcomer feel comfortable quicker.

Looking forward to pics!!

GJBain

The first thing that struck me was the amount of food he's getting! That's LOTS.
Penny,

I have a question, Why do you say that is a lot of food. 2 times a day - 1/2 a cup, so a cup of food a day, is to much? Reason I am asking is because we feed out almost 7 month old Brandy the same - 2 times a day - 1/2 a cup, so a cup a day, of Blue Buffalo Wilsderness puppy food . Are we over feeding?? She is fit and trim right now. Thanks.

CaseyKC

My Libby, 8yo, 13lb, spay female gets 1/4C in the morning and 1/4C at dinner time. I feed her Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula. I also buy Nutro Tarter Control biscuits and break each bone shaped biscuit into 3 pieces. She thinks this is a treat and gets these 3 broken pieces throughout the day, not to exceed one biscuit a day. A few months ago she broke (slab fractures) both of her upper pre molars (the first and biggest ones) from, we think, chewing ice in the driveway. When I took her in to have these teeth extracted, the dental person was amazed at how clean all of her teeth are. She did a complete dental as long as Libby was under anesthesia, but told me she couldn't believe these teeth were in the mouth of a then 7yo dachshund and to keep up what I am doing. I have always brushed her teeth once a week with an electric toothbrush, she hates it, but lets me do it anyway and apparently the brushing and tartar control biscuits are doing the job.

Moo bag

I bought a KONG tou

Hello all,

1st off his food he gets half a cup all day, not a whole one.

The whining ..... Read lots last night on line and bought him a kong toy £7 pushed a tiny treat inside and bingo happy as anything! Will play for a good 15 min with one tiny treat to get.

I realised the needy side of him is he is a Doxie and he just wants to follow me around all day. My daughter again today got him to chase her for a liver flavoured treat. This is allowing him to mingle and not concentrate on me so much. Lunch time I gave him a desert spoon of low fat yoghurt whilst we ate, this seemed to take his mind of us!

Onward and upward!!!!

Attachments

Penny

Most of the folks at our meet up feed a 1/2 cup for the entire day, divided through the day. An 8 yr old probably doesn't get the exercise he needs to burn that 1 cup off and he's over weight right now, that amount won't get him to trim down. That's why I was asking for a photo of his side view to get an idea how much over weigh he is.

If he's whining and making a fuss when you are cooking, likely the lady who had him before was feeding him while she was making supper, giving him chopped veggies or what ever. Apparently, you aren't in on this so he's trying to train you to what he's accustomed to. lol Tell him a firm 'no' and put him where you want him. He needs to learn some manners. If you sit on the couch and he's climbing all over you, say 'no'.

When we got Georgia, she was an adult, and we popped a bag of popcorn. She was dancing and twirling and happy. Couldn't believe her eyes that there was popcorn in the microwave. Well she was climbing all over me and I gently blocked her and let her know to give me some space. She might get some but not with that behavior.

If he's clingy and nudging your hand for affection, just block him. That's rude behavior. Reward the behavior you want. He can sit on your lap if you wish, or beside you, but you will let him up on the couch when you say so. You can have him sit on the floor beside the couch and *wait* to be invited up. I think he can learn some discipline of waiting. This shows him too, that you are the top dog and he shouldn't be so demanding. Top dogs get respect.

For your daughter, she can ask him to sit for a treat. Or, come and walk nicely beside her, not in front ahead of her. For these polite behaviors, he can have a treat and a 'good boy!!'. He will learn to trust her and follow her lead. He should not be out front of either of you when on a leash. He needs to walk beside you, and you go through your front door first, not him. Only go through the door when he's calm and waiting, then going forward is the reward.

That's a few ideas that came to mind. Hope to see photos when you have time.

Penny

For exercise, we put our dogs behind a door (bathroom is good) then hide a ball somewhere in the house. This gets them working hard, using their brain and their noses, so basically hunting indoors. I have found ways to make hidie-holes for the ball by throwing a little blanket on things, or behind curtains or doors etc.

They will chase a beach ball outside..

Hope these are ideas that you and your daughter will love to use.

Or on a walk, I bounce this along for them to catch. It keeps the walk moving forward, and maybe faster than they might go if just walking..

JPsMOM

Hello all,

1st off his food he gets half a cup all day, not a whole one.

The whining ..... Read lots last night on line and bought him a kong toy £7 pushed a tiny treat inside and bingo happy as anything! Will play for a good 15 min with one tiny treat to get.

I realised the needy side of him is he is a Doxie and he just wants to follow me around all day. My daughter again today got him to chase her for a liver flavoured treat. This is allowing him to mingle and not concentrate on me so much. Lunch time I gave him a desert spoon of low fat yoghurt whilst we ate, this seemed to take his mind of us!

Onward and upward!!!!
Good job being proactive and figuring out how to meet his needs. You are right, they are big lovers, and he obviously chose you as his number 1! Lucky you! He is very handsome :)

Mine is very food-driven too. He is quite sure he is always, always starving. He once got ahold of a very large Turkey and cheese sandwich from my daughters lunch bag, ate the ENTIRE thing. He was so full I was concerned about him...he grunted when he walked. He STILL spent the rest of the day staring longingly at our food! (After that huge "lunch" he was allowed no dinner...he was still a bit puffy from the sandwich at bed time!)

Sent from over here.

Last edited: