Puppy while at work

crafty

Hello everyone I have a few questions about dachshund puppies. I've wanted a dachshund since I was in middle school. I've had my own place for a while now and I was thinking about getting a puppy. I know it's a lot of work so I don't have any delusions of it being easy.

My primary concern is of course for the dog's well being. I work 8-5 with an hour lunch break at noon about 20 minutes away. If I were to get a puppy I know they need to be played with a lot. My question is , what should I do about potentially being at work and the dog is alone? I can ( and would love to ) definitely drive home to walk him and play with him at lunch break.

I also have family that lives 20 minutes away. My brother goes to college and I know he told me he'd love to watch the dog.

So I have heard conflicting ideas from people. Some say leaving the dog alone is bad. I know puppies need a lot of attention but if I were to crate the dog until lunch then walk it is that okay? What is an acceptable time frame to leave it alone? I know they have to go "potty" a lot when they're young.

I just want the information so I can make an informed decision that would be fair towards the dog if I were to get one.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Penny

This is not answering your question but have you considered adopting an adult? We have gone to a show breeder and asked to adopt an adult when they were retiring from the show ring. They would have to learn the rules and routine of your place but they already should know how to walk nicely on a leash and be crate trained. They'll be finished the puppy 'I want to chew everything' phase too. This is what we've done for our 4 doxies. If I did not have any, I would consider a mother ready to retire and her puppy so they would have company when the peeps are away during the day.

crafty

You bring up a good point and some things to think about. I suppose the age of a dog is not particularly important; I just think I would prefer a dog that had not had a prior owner. I don't really know why but I suppose it's due to the fact that I have known people who their dog is misbehaved and it becomes difficult to break the dog of any existing habits.

I'm not about to do anything soon I'm just trying to gather information. I appreciate the response.

Penny

At least show breeders are invested in making sure their dog will walk on a leash and be exposed to all sizes of dogs and have people handle them.

My favorite command that they will know is 'look at me', which keeps their attention on you when out for walks and there's something they need to ignore. Plus this makes them excellent for taking portrait shots...

Something to consider anyway. Good luck in your searching.

crafty

Thanks. I think adopting a dog that's not a puppy is the right choice for me. Besides shows where else would you recommend to adopt dogs? Of course I will Google around and I do know shelters are a great option. One concern I have about rescued dogs though is the behavior issues. Or maybe it bites because the previous owner was mean to it.

I think it would be cool to rescue a dog like that but I would be a bit concerned. Do you have any recommendations about that?

CaseyKC

If you adopt from a reputable dachshund rescue, the foster mom will be able to tell you all about the traits that the dog has. Many rescue dogs find themselves in rescue through no fault of their own. Perhaps the owner was no longer able to care for himself/herself and had to move into a nursing home, or passed away. Maybe the dog's human family met with hard economic times, lost their home and had to move to a place that would not allow dogs. Maybe the dog followed his/her nose and became lost and never found the way home. So many dachshunds in rescue foster care are used to loving homes and a loving human and seem so grateful to be rescued. Some very reputable dachshund rescue organizations are Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue, Dachshund Rescue North America, All American Dachshund Rescue, Almost Home Dachshund Rescue. You can google all of them, fill out the adoption request papers, and they will work with you to match you up with one of their current listed dogs, or keep you on a waiting list for future rescues. There is a fee, cost usually depends on the age of the dog being adopted, but the dog will have all shots and be spay or neutered and will have had a health check. Whatever rescue organization you apply to will want to do a home inspection, and chat with you about your lifestyle, dachshund experience, etc. The foster mom, or dad, will fill you in about what the dog can do, and may have worked for several months to insure the dog is potty trained, can walk on a leash nicely. None of the rescues I have worked with will take in a dog that has bitten viciously.

I am no longer active in rescue, but I still do transports if a dog needs to go to Florida or from Florida to New England, or places in between, when I am making the trip. All the dogs I have transported have been fantastic, okay, a little quirk here and there, but we all have quirks. One little guy I took to SC could not stand up to piddle unless he could rest his leg on a tree or post. Normally this would not be a problem, but I left New England following a huge nor'easter and there was about 3 feet of snow on the ground. Neither he nor I wanted to walk through all that snow to get to a tree. After checking out several rest areas with trees quite a ways in from the plowed parking area, I was beginning to wonder if this doggy would ever find a place to piddle. About the fourth or fifth rest area we tried, he finally consented to use a metal sign post to prop his leg on while he was going. The rest of the trip was a piece of cake, especially when we made it to the more southern states that had no snow and readily available trees.

Penny

Out of the 4 doxies we adopted from a show breeder, the breeder said to bring the dog back if there was a problem. They insisted on it. Gives you some peace of mind when trying it out. I think reputable rescues will as well but they really do look for a home that is the best fit for the dog.

Thank you for considering an adult.

vizzla

Hello,
Yes it is very harmful to crate a dog, any dog, but especially a puppy. Dogs are social beings and need family around them.

A dog that is left alone for as longe as 5 hours a day may have other behavioural problems, not always acting out. Some get depressed and aphatic.

In sweden it is illigal to keep dogs in crates indoors at any time. And its illigal to leave a dog for more than 5 hours (adults) because of the harm that does to a social beeing.

In your case I would have my brother watching the dog, or a neighbour during daytime.
Otherwise I would recomend you wait getting a puppy untill you can have someone to watch it.

Good luck!

vizzla

found this, that maybe helps:

Here’s a crate-free dog- or puppy-proofing checklist to help make sure your new best friend is safe and secure:

Set boundaries. New dogs or puppies should probably spend the first few days or weeks in a restricted area when you aren’t there to supervise. This cuts down on the chances that they can get into something they shouldn’t. For dogs who are small or not overly hyper or athletic, setting up a baby gate or exercise pen so that it’s possible to see what’s going on elsewhere in the house can work well. This can help alleviate boredom, too (as can several brisk walks every day). However, you may have to use a closed door with larger or more rambunctious dogs. But under no circumstances should you confine your dog to a crate as a method of dog-proofing—that’s just the lazy way and can cause serious health and behavior problems, such as phobias, aggression, separation anxiety, and self-mutilation. The word “crate” is simply a euphemism for “cage.” And dogs shouldn’t live in cages, period.

Pick up your shoes, remote control, cell phone—and anything else you don’t want your dog to mistake for a chew toy. A curious dog can be a great motivator for keeping your house tidy!
Don’t leave toys lying around. Dogs often (understandably) mistake children’s toys for dog toys. My cousin once had a dog who swallowed one of the kids’ ping-pong balls. By the time they realized what he had done, it was too late. The ball blocked his intestines and even emergency surgery couldn’t save him. As a corollary, dogs should have plenty of their own toys, and if they start to chew on something they shouldn’t, they can just be redirected toward an “approved” toy.

Cover electrical cords with chew-proof covers, and install child-safety guards on unused electrical outlets. Cord cover options include spiral cable wrap (available at electronics supply stores), aquarium tubing, and Chewsafe covers.
Secure curtain and blind cords. Both dogs and cats have been known to strangle themselves when they become entangled in cords, so tie cords and keep them up high and out of reach (installing a cleat or cup hook works well). Also, make sure window screens are secure before going off and leaving a dog or cat in a room with an open window. Other strangling dangers to beware of are plastic bags (never leave them where your dog can get at them) and choke collars. PETA does not recommend using choke collars under any circumstances (there are more humane ways of preventing your dog from pulling), but they should never be left on unsupervised dogs (if the collar gets caught on something, the dog’s struggling to get free will only cause it to tighten).
Weed out toxic plants. Common poisonous houseplants include cyclamen, dracaena, dieffenbachia, ivy, philodendron, pothos, and Schefflera. Move toxic plants out of reach or to a place where your dog doesn’t have unsupervised access (such as a screened-in or three-season porch). Some plants cause only minor discomfort if ingested, while others can be deadly. Check with the Animal Poison Control Center for a complete list of toxic plants.

Avoid kitchen nightmares. Always put food away when you’re finished eating or preparing a meal. Put childproof locks on lower cabinet doors to prevent your dog from getting into food and toxic cleaners and other chemicals. Potentially harmful foods include avocados, chocolate, coffee, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, onions, and alcoholic beverages.

Use a trash can with a lid. If your dog persistently tries to get into the trash, get a trash can with a lid that latches. The same goes for recycling bins.
Don’t make a medical mistake. Make sure all medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter) are locked away in a medicine cabinet, child-proof under-sink cabinet, or linen closet. If you carry medications in your purse, keep it in your closet or somewhere high up. Keep soap and toothpaste out of reach, too. Many types of toothpaste contain the artificial sweetener xylitol, which is extremely toxic to dogs. Xylitol is also found in chewing gum.

By taking these simple precautions, you can avoid a costly and stressful trip to the emergency vet and even prevent a tragedy. Play it safe today and your dog will be playing safely tomorrow.

Read more: No Need to Crate: Simple and Easy Ways to Keep Your Dog Safe When Home Alone | Companion Animals | Living | PETA

2doxiemama

I have a 1 year old male who is in a crate every day for 8 hours,when we get home he is happy to see us,he goes outside to do his duty and is extremely happy every day,I have a 10 year old female who was also crated during the day until about 2 years old.I will crate the puppy until then,neither show any bad side effects of it,my opinion is puppies can get into way to much trouble left out and unattended...My older one has never had issues from being crated during the day and the puppy has shown no bad effects from it either..I firmly believe in it,for their safety

GJBain

Dachshunds should be taught crate training for many reasons. 1) to keep them out of trouble especially when they are puppies, 2) So when you take them in a car they are safe, 3)So if they ever hurt there back as many Dachsunds experience, they can easily be crated for 8 or more weeks to recover. Everyone is right though you need to socialize the puppy especially a Dachshund as some experience anxiety issues.