Puppy Strangles

Nydia

Need advice, we are adopting two Doxie pups. We will get them at 8 weeks so we still have two weeks to go. We go every week to see them and they are super cute. Last week one of the puppies was very sick and had been taken to the vet and put on antibiotics. His glads were huge and his face and neck were very swollen. I was so upset but we were told that the vet said it was a bacterial infection and pup would be fine. This week he does look just a little better but now has little open sores on his nose and mouth.
I started to research on line and found pictures of exactly what his pup looks like and the diagnosis is puppy strangles. He is now on 2 1/2 weeks of being sick and the vet has not given prednisone or similar med as stated on most of the info I found.
Should we walk away from this pup???? Are we asking for a life time of problem? What would you do?
Already heartbroken......

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
I dont know anything about puppy strangles, but I would ask the rescue to look into it and if your financially able, pay for another vet trip for the pup...

Personally, me being me, I'd be more eager to adopt the sick puppy... I love dogs with issues! LOL

I would, however, not get littermates. I'd only adopt one pup, otherwise you risk them being more bonded to eachother that to you. Littermates mean double the expense at the same time as well, with 2 more sets of shots, neutering etc. all at the same time... plus double the mess to clean up, and, double the time spent on training and walking (as you should work with each dog separately so as to facilitate bonding to you and not eachother)

consider adopting only one dog, then when that pup is older, adopt another one...

But I'd still adopt the sick one! LOL

Nydia

Thank you for your response. I actually did extensive searches and read as much as I could. I armed myself with data and when the pup was scheduled to go back for follow up I ask to come along.
The vet agreed with my findings and put the pup on the correct meds. It's been a week and he is doing much better.

The sad part is --- I think because of the swelling we could not see this before but it looks like he is missing one eye. We are already attached and my husband said he did not care if his tail was sticking out of his ear he would still adopt him LOL. So I guess the little guy will be coming home with us Sept 1 st!

Nydia

I forgot to tell you the pups are double dappled. The one that had had all the problems is white with dapple markings black and grey.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
That pup could very well have small eye syndrome, or be missing that eye completely... it's a common problem with Double Dapples, and why people need to stop breeding the poor things... My doubles are both Black and tan double dapples, like yours, and both are deaf and both dont see well, yet they are perfectly happy dogs, and fantastic pets.

Good for you for giving the little guy a chance! Oh, and pictures please!!!

Nydia

Small eye syndrome hum.... Something else for me to research. I can't see an eye and the opening is extremely small like a slit. Do you know if dogs like that will require anything special for that eye???? My husband sais nature has a way of taking care of these things. He is running and playing and eating so if you overlook the missing hair from his fight with strangles and the closed eye you wold not know there was anything wrong.

Pictures as soon as I get him! After seeing all the problems these poor little guys have I agree people should STOP breeding double dapples. I hope more people educate themselfs before they continue to do this.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Microphthalmia is the technical term of Small Eye Syndrome. And likely there wont be problems later in life, however there are exceptions. People with Double Merles/Dapples should take their dogs to see a canine ophthalmologist, especially if there is questions about the health and viability of an eye. Glaucoma is a real concern with some Double Merle eye defects.

Mouse and Boo have both seen an ophthalmologist, and while an expensive endeavor, it was totally worth it for me. I know their limitations, and what to expect, as well as alleviating some concerns. I have not, however had them Baer tested (for hearing) as I know they're functionally deaf, and dont need to spend a bunch of money to be told that again, though some people like to know if theirs a little hearing or not, I just care about functionality.

Here's a great site for info on Double Merles/Dapples. It's geared towards Aussies, but the genetics and defects are exactly the same for any Double Merle/Dapple, no matter the breed
Double Merle Dogs - The White Aussies Project, at Lethal Whites .Com

Nydia

Sara,
You have been a wealth of information and I truly appreciate it. At first I was disappointed on this group with so many members and such little activity. I don't know how long the site has been up but I can't help to compare it to Yorkie Talk which I am a member of since I also have a Yorkie, one day of not looking at the site it's easy to miss 100+ post.
However because of you I will continue to read and learn from this site. Thank you so much!

Other Doxie owners hear this ------ communicate with each other there is so much to learn from one another use this site and make new friends. This is your Doxie support group LOL

Lily 1 yr. old Doxie
Streach 7 yr. old Doxie
Thor 8 months (Yorkie)
Soon adding two more!

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
This site is new, less than a year old. And Yorkie's are waaayyyy more popular a breed than Doxies. I am also involved in several forums, and looked for awhile for other Dachshund forums, but found none that I liked until this one, however it's not very busy yet... hopefully that will change, it has alot of potential

I'm very glad I could help, and any questions you have, I will try to help! I'm really into Clicker Training, and rehabbing dogs with issues, as well as trick training... I read tons of training and behaviour books, (except Cesar, as I believe he should be brought up on charges of abuse, honestly) and have become very well versed in the subject of dogs :)

and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving those pups a chance!

Nydia

Well both my husband and I are animal lovers and it makes us happy to be in a position to help.
I have to say that for the most part I'm pretty good in diagnosing or doing my research. Like you I try to become well versed on whatever is going on.

We picked up the mamma of the pups on Friday, she was not allowing the pups to feed any more and was having a hard time drying out. Today I took her to the vet --- poor thing had an ear infection and she is so engorged the i was afraid of mastitis. The vet gave us some pills to try to help her dry out. Luckily no heart worms or any other serious problems. She's very loving and still such a puppy herself, it's been so cute watching her play with Thor the Yorkie.

I'll take some pictures today and post later.

Cell

Personally I would not walk away from these puppies I would RUN. Sorry to burst the bubble but this sounds like a terrible, terrible breeder. Double dappled puppies, mother with mastitis, puppy with a bacterial infection. You could very likely be setting yourselves up for many heart breaks and medical issues by choosing poorly bred dogs. Buying 2 dogs from this breeder sets you up for 2x the possibilities of illness, and disease. This breeder should not be breeding and none of the pups should be allowed either. Too many perfectly healthy dogs are rejected and euthanised every year to have people breeding sick, painful animals.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Personally I would not walk away from these puppies I would RUN. Sorry to burst the bubble but this sounds like a terrible, terrible breeder. Double dappled puppies, mother with mastitis, puppy with a bacterial infection. You could very likely be setting yourselves up for many heart breaks and medical issues by choosing poorly bred dogs. Buying 2 dogs from this breeder sets you up for 2x the possibilities of illness, and disease. This breeder should not be breeding and none of the pups should be allowed either. Too many perfectly healthy dogs are rejected and euthanised every year to have people breeding sick, painful animals.
I do believe these pups are rescues, by the way she's talking. And she's been paying vet bills already, I admire her heart and willingness to help pups in need. I would never buy puppies that are poorly bred either, but I have adopted 5 that are. yet with all their presumed disabilities and possibilities for health issues, not one of my 5 have been to the vet for anything other than routine stuff and teeth cleaning and pulling, once I got them healthy after I adopted them.

Last edited:

Nydia

Sara is correct these are rescue pups.
We have had the mom now for 1week after I took her to the vet and got a clean bill of health.
1st puppy has shown no signs of ant illness and vet tells me he should continue to do fine.
2nd pup is the one that had strangles and we Vet and I are amazed at how great he is. Tolerated the meds all swelling is gone and hair is starting to grow back. He is not totally blind on one eye but has impared vision due to it being almost closed. Vet sees nothing wrong with it other than it's really almost closed.

I'm exited that we are able to care for these little guys and thank God everyday that we have the time space and the means to help some pups that others would not want to bother with.

All pups will be fixed we do not want to repeat the mistake others make.

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
So are you keeping the Momma too? or just helping her out a bit? I'm still waiting for pics LOL. I bet you're getting excited to bring home your new babies! enjoy them, and please, post ALOT of pics! LOL

Here's my 2 little Double Dapples, just to get the pics rolling :) Mouse is 2.5 years old, and has the completely white face, Boo is 7 and has the 1/2 dapple face

Nydia

SANY0001 (2).jpg

SANY0002 (2).jpg

SANY0203.jpg

Yes, we have decided to keep the mamma also. My husband has gotten very attached to her and her to him. It's been interresting since her and the Yorkie have gotten along so great. Streach our 7 yr old Doxie is still thinking about it but he has never been extremely social. LOL
Here is Thor and Lily, Lily alone and Streach
\

Nydia

The first picture is of the pup before strangles, I do not have a current picture but when they come home next week I'll take some. The eye that did not open is the one on the patch side.

The second picture shows the other little black and grey dapple in the back ground that will also come home with us.

There is a lady that will be taking the other little white dapple he is totally blind from what we can tell right now. He can hear and follow you easily and boy can he sniff out just about anything. His eyes are just tiny slits he is really sweet. I do hope the lady takes him because when she was told he was blind she was scared. I have a bad feeling that my honey will come home with him also. OMG a pack of weenies!

SANY0058 - Copy.jpg

SANY0043.jpg