PRA Cord 1 & Laforas


Nell

Member
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me their experiences of PRA Cord 1 and Laforas in other countries. We have both in our dachshund population in the UK and it is something most reputable breeders are working hard to eradicate.

We are able to test for the PRA Cord 1 via an animal Health Trust where you can order the test kits (a mouth swab) and the results are published on the Kennel Club website.

At the moment the only tests for the Lafora (via a blood test) are having to be sent to Canada.

If you have any experience of these two diseases or can tell me the prevalence where you are I would be very interested.
 
OK so I am guessing this is NOT an issue anywhere else then?

Most puppies advertised here, in the UK (if they are from reputable breeders) are advertised with their test results. Must admit from the research I have done so far I can't seem to find any advertised in the U.S with the same?

So, if you don't have these hereditary diseases in your dogs why do we??
 
These are an issue in Finland as well.
In Finland it is recommended that the dogs that are used for breeding have their eyes examined, but it's not a dna-test. The special vet checks their eyes. I just googled this and it is possible to get that dna-test in Finland also, but the website is saying that the gene can be hidden and the results may not be completely reliable.

Lafora is a problem but Iäm not sure if there are any tests done.
 
Thank you Inkeri.

In the UK dogs are tested and the tests come back as either Clear, Carrier or Affected. An Affected dog will develop the disease. A Carrier will never develop the disease but can pass it on to their offspring. A clear to carrier mating will result in approx. 50 % of puppies that are clear and 50% of puppies will be carriers.

If they are not DNA testing your dogs then matings are going ahead without knowing whether the disease will be past on?

My Connie is a carrier and will only be mated to a clear dog, I will then test all the puppies, any carriers will be sold as pets and the clear pups can be sold for either breeding or showing.
 
I actually ended up with my puppy because the breeder who wanted her found out that her father is a carrier for PRA. That means Lacy is a carrier too, so although he could have bred her to unaffected dogs, he opted to keep the gene out of his breeding program altogether.
 
Thank you it is so interesting to know how other places are managing this. Here is the current thinking from the National Health Trust in the UK:

Cord1 is a mutation and ideally should be bred away from. However this is a slow process if we were to stop breeding from any dogs who were carrier, or affected status we would reduce the gene pool and restrict the progress of dachshunds. Ideally from breeding you should keep the best bred/formed to the breed standard dachshund.

Clear to Clear will produce 100% clear puppies.

Clear to carrier will produce 50% chance of clear puppies, 50% chance of carriers. (Will need to test puppies wanted for breeding unless they are to be mated to a clear)

Clear to genetically “affected” will produce 100% carriers.

Carrier to carrier will produce 50% chance of carrier puppies, 25% chance of clear puppies and 25% chance of genetically affected puppies.

Carrier to genetically affected will produce 50% chance of carrier puppies and 50% chance of affected puppies.

As you can see they are NOT recommending that we shouldn't breed from carriers otherwise it will limit the gene pool.
 
Yes these are the results from the testing in Canada so far, rather a high percentage of carriers!

I hope to have my wire girl tested for Lafora later this year so fingers crossed.

She is already tested clear for the PRA Cord 1 so at least I know she is OK for that.
 
Back
Top