Potty trouble 0_o

Nattynoo

Hey guys :) ok so as you may know from my intro I've just rescued a female Doxie named Patra or Stinky Dinky as I call her. The man I saved he from told me she was around 6 months old and fully trained the whole great big picture of a perfect Doxie... Well she can be a complete nightmere most of the time but does have her good times so we took her to the vets and he said she's around 10-12 months old witch was a big surprise and the she decides to come in to season, even with the boys chasing her around and her humping them yup she humps the boys lol I can deal with that it's just you see she pees everywhere and I meen everywhere her cate, the floor, the couch, the bed etc. She will pee outside and hasn't pooped inside yet. She will pee outside and come in and pee. I've tried yelling at her, leaving her in her crate and only taking her out to pee and she will still pee in her crate and sleep in it. I take out every 30 mins with and with out my boys. If you guys know anything else I can do it would greatly appricated :)
Al so I was told she was a double dapple but believe she is a piebald as one of you stated be for. What do you think?

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Yes, she is a piebald. She has no dapple in her, as her black has no "blue" spots in it. She's beautiful!

Personally, I would keep her on a leash attached to you at all times. Take her outside every 1/2 hour to an hour, again, on leash. Ask her to pee, and just stand there and wait. If she does pee, immediately reward her heavily (treats, petting, etc) then let her off leash for playtime. then leash her back up and bring her in. If you see her start to sniff and circle, get her back outside again right away, reward for pee/poop, then back in again. If you dont catch her in time, and she does pee, ignore it (for now)

After a few weeks of this, rewarding her every time for a "good pee" and ignoring the "bad pee" I would fill a can with coins. watch her like a hawk, and if she does start to pee in the house, throw the can near her, say NOT HERE! and take her outside. and ask for a pee.

She will learn that peeing near you outside is good, peeing near you inside is dangerous. Then start to give her freedom. Let her pee off leash outside, but do a happy dance and give treats when she does. and toss the can if she pees inside (only if you catch her doing it)

She will learn it's very rewarding to pee outside near you, dangerous to pee inside near you, and unrewarding to pee inside NOT near you...

Yes, this does work :)

schierling

I have always found Dachshunds very hard to potty train, but once the get it they get it. deafdog had a great answer. My dachshunds, especially my smooth haired dappled, is just plain stubborn and gets cold easy. He will go out when we make him, but will often urinate right by the door. My little long haired guy does whatever we tell him and although it took a little to get him trained he is great. I think it helps to go out with them at times when it is no fun to go out, like in the cold or rain, at night, early morning. That encouragement helps my dogs.

Inkeri

She's adorable!! :) We don't have piebalds in Finland. :)

As for potty-training, Sara said it best. :)

Nattynoo

Just an update on Lil P as we call her.

First thank you all for the advice and comments on Lil P.
Second she is about 95% potty trained now. We found as soon as she came off heat she was a lot better at going outside. We now only have the problem with going at night, but thats why a crate is so handy.

DonRamon

Ninja
Just an update on Lil P as we call her.

First thank you all for the advice and comments on Lil P.
Second she is about 95% potty trained now. We found as soon as she came off heat she was a lot better at going outside. We now only have the problem with going at night, but thats why a crate is so handy.
Good thing most dogs wont do it in their crate :D