Possibly allergic to my dog?

Dachshundmama89

I've had my Dachshund for 8 years now, and my other dachshund for 5 years. I've been allergic to cats my whole life, and continued to own them regardless. But I have never had an issue with any dog. For the past week, I have been breaking out in mild hives on random spots on my skin. It really clicked in my head a few days in, when my skin immediately started to react while my dog was licking me. She is an excessive licker, and like I said before, although I have some allergies and sensitive skin, this has never been an issue.

So my question is, has anyone heard of this? Does anyone have the same issue with dog saliva? It doesn't seem to be the hair that's bothering me, but the saliva itself. Not really sure what to do from here... She's overdue for a bath, so I think I might try washing her just in case it is her fur or dander.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

~Disheartened Dachshund lover

Kirp

The same thing actually happened to me. I was never allergic to dogs, then started breaking out in hives if they got too close. Turns out there's a specific type of plant my dog and the dogs I was taking care of would roll in and chew on, and I just happened to be incredibly allergic to it. Several baths, cleaning out their mouths, and blocking them from those plants made the hives stop.

Maybe your dog got into something that you're allergic to as well? My dog still had bits of plant stuck between her teeth after a bath so licking me still set off the reaction. Try brushing her teeth and giving her a really thorough bath.