Possible Dachshund newbie

NAUTIQUE

Hi everyone!
Just recently found this forum and thought I'd introduce myself...
My name is Scott from Southeastern Mass.
I've been roaming around the internet trying to learn what I can about Miniature Dachshunds.

I'm in a situation where we may be adopting an 8mo. old brother/sister combo! :eek: (Most likely both, but If not, at least one of them.)
My dear Sister-in-law loved her Doxies!
Unfortunately she recently passed away suddenly (way too young).
She had the two parents and then a litter of three.
Of course they were so cute she kept all 5!
(Actually my nephew ended up taking one of the pups, but he still spent a lot of time with the clan.)
My SIL was always prodding my wife to take the little girl, but we had been leaning towards a Mini Aussie or Westie in the spring.
Now I can tell that it will mean so much to my wife to be able to raise her sister's puppies! (and my brother-in-law would love to keep them in the family. He's keeping the parents.). So I told my wife we could take them if it meant a lot to her. (The only question now seems to be if my nephew wants to take a second one or not.)

I've always been a medium to large type dog guy.
Had a German-Shepard/Husky mix for 13 years. Then a 70lb Springer (from another SIL's litter) for another 12 years (lost him a two years ago to cancer.)
Anyways... these little guys will be a new experience for me!
Although my wife had already convinced me to go with a smaller breed that would work better traveling in our motorhome.

I'm hoping that this is an active forum and I'll be able to learn a lot about these little guys here! :cool:

GJBain

Hi everyone!
Just recently found this forum and thought I'd introduce myself...
My name is Scott from Southeastern Mass.
I've been roaming around the internet trying to learn what I can about Miniature Dachshunds.

I'm in a situation where we may be adopting an 8mo. old brother/sister combo! :eek: (Most likely both, but If not, at least one of them.)
My dear Sister-in-law loved her Doxies!
Unfortunately she recently passed away suddenly (way too young).
She had the two parents and then a litter of three.
Of course they were so cute she kept all 5!
(Actually my nephew ended up taking one of the pups, but he still spent a lot of time with the clan.)
My SIL was always prodding my wife to take the little girl, but we had been leaning towards a Mini Aussie or Westie in the spring.
Now I can tell that it will mean so much to my wife to be able to raise her sister's puppies! (and my brother-in-law would love to keep them in the family. He's keeping the parents.). So I told my wife we could take them if it meant a lot to her. (The only question now seems to be if my nephew wants to take a second one or not.)

I've always been a medium to large type dog guy.
Had a German-Shepard/Husky mix for 13 years. Then a 70lb Springer (from another SIL's litter) for another 12 years (lost him a two years ago to cancer.)
Anyways... these little guys will be a new experience for me!
Although my wife had already convinced me to go with a smaller breed that would work better traveling in our motorhome.

I'm hoping that this is an active forum and I'll be able to learn a lot about these little guys here! :cool:
You better be ready to own the most stubborn, smartest, best dogs to ever own. :)

They love to sit with you and they love to be under their covers.

Are they house broke? If not they can be a bit of a challenge to say the least.

Try not to let them jump up on things.... bad for their backs. This and house breaking are the two biggest challenges.

Good Luck.

NAUTIQUE

Thanks GJ,
I'm guessing that they are not housebroken yet.
I believe my SIL used puppy pads, but not sure how successful that was either.
I'll be starting crate training right away. If the pads worked at all, I may start there and then work to the outside.

I've been reading tons, and find the jumping to be a big no-no.

Stubborn & Smart described my Springer too!
I trained him to do soo many things, and yet there were still a few that he was just too stubborn to follow. :rolleyes:

These guys look to be a very interesting breed! Looking forward to working with them!

Lupita

Two pups is an exciting challenge! As for the house training, be prepared for a difficult, probably long road. But if you are patient and consistent, they will get the hang of it. Crate training is an excellent idea. I look forward to seeing pics of them soon!