Parvoooo!!!!!:,(

Doxmom

Newbie here - how do dogs contract parvo? Don't they get shots early on to prevent it? Sending prayers and healing thoughts for your little one..

Steph

Even though dogs get vaccinations for parvo, it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't get it. I've seen too many at work that have been vaccinated for it and they still end up with it. There are many strains of the virus, some of them stronger than others because just like everything else that has a genetic code, it mutates and changes how weak or strong it is.

The very old and the very young are highly susceptible to the virus as well as certain breeds have a higher incidence of being prone to it. Parvo is spread through fecal matter, so with the habit that dogs have of smelling poop, they can pick it up. That's why we as their guardians need to be aware of what they are smelling. If you've ever smelled the feces of a dog that has parvo, you will NEVER forget the smell. It's hard to describe, but the smell is ingrained into your brain and you can't forget it.

Ilovemylily

Ya this happened in may or around that time took about 2 1/2 months to recover the hardest times a puppy owner can experience! But now she's completely recovered except for she lost we hearing but i really don't think she's knows that yet lol she is CRAZY HYPER!!!! And is very healthy now! In fact fact here she is:)

[/IMG]

courtneyrose7290

My dog Sophie got parvo when she was a puppy. I was 18 at the time, and had just gotten my last paycheck from the school I was helping at during the school year. The vet didnt charge me for half the shots he gave her since he knew I was short on money. He sent me home with an iv to give her everyday, which put water through her system. I nursed her back to health for 7 days straight. I fed her pedialyte and chicken broth through a syringe every 15-20 minutes. I stayed by her side all throughout the day and night, and by the 8th day, she woke up healthy as ever. I didnt put her in a vet because I didnt have the money, but Im very lucky I was able to get her feeling better.:D

Moodle

I'm glad you did it Lily! My little chihuahua Koa caught parvo when he was 5 months old. He weighed two pounds at the time. My vet said there wasn't much hope for him as he's never seen a dog under 5 pounds survive but he would try his hardest. He stayed at the vet during the day with an IV and 12 shots a day. At night he would come home and I'd monitor him and bring him back to the vet at 6 in the morning. He was so weak he couldn't eat or drink and couldn't even stand to go to the bathroom. I cried, didn't sleep, or eat that whole week. Towards the end of the week he started getting stronger and the vet said his chances were much greater but by the end of the week we'd know if he'd be able to survive. The end of the week came and he made it! I was so overjoyed! He was still weak but could now eat and stand up. He is now 3 years old and I call him my little miracle puppy.

You look great Lily!

Attachments

Last edited:

jax's_mommy

Im glad Lily made it :)

I know whats its like seeing a puppy go threw that :( its heart breaking.
I had adopted a pi bull puppy at 6weeks, whom i name Karma. At 12 weeks old, things took a turn for the worst. Over night she went from a happy energetic puppy to a lifeless body. When we took her to the vet, sure enough she had parvo. She also had Lyptospirosis which kicked the parvovirus into high gear and made it affect her faster. They tried treatment, but by morning we knew it wasnt working, she was already gone, just barely still there. So I made a hard decision to end her suffering :(

Attached is a picture of her when I brought her home. Sadly it was the only picture i Had in those all to very short 6 weeks :(

Attachments

Ilovemylily

Aww I'm so sorry about ur puppy!! There's only a few who survive lily was pretty lucky. I remember one day when she was sick I went out to see her I didn't think she was breathing! So I started crying thinking she was not alive! Then all the sudden I see her get up and walk towards me!! I started laughing and realize she was definately fighting to survive! She's my baby I'm so proud of her she was only 2 months old! She's happy now:)