Older Doxie comes inside to Pee

DoxieMoxie7

My 14 year old Male doxie will be outside for an hour and then come inside and pee on the floor. I have tried so many things to make this stop but hes refusing.

CaseyKC

Several things come to mind, as I assume this is a new behavior and he didn't do this previously? Perhaps, now that he is getting older, and especially if you live in a colder climate, he doesn't like the cold, may not even be able to do what he needs to do if he is shivering, and wants to hurry back inside. Maybe a warm sweater would help. Or perhaps the scent of where he had an accident indoors before lingers, even if you can't smell it he can. and he thinks this is an okay place to relieve himself, you could try Odoban from Walmart or Sam's Club to eliminate lingering odors. Or, maybe there is a strange odor or animal like a coyote lurking around outdoors and he doesn't feel comfortable letting down his guard and getting into a vulnerable position to do his business. Maybe you could take him out and stand with him until he does what he is supposed to do outdoors.

DoxieMoxie7

It's not really new behavior. He's just always been stubborn. He will run the fence line for a long long time and then pee in the house. I clean the spot with bleach, so I'm just really at a loss.

CaseyKC

I have to take my Annie out on her leash to her potty place and encourage her to do what she needs to do. She can be stubborn also. In addition, I would never leave her outdoors alone due to the "critters" that inhabit our property {12 acres} and a fence wouldn't stop them. We have Fisher Cats by the river that could shred my little girl to ribbons, coyotes, fox, and other predators. No fence exists that would prevent tunneling under, or jumping over by these creatures. While it is really a pain to take her out on her leash, at least I know when she has done her duty and can be fairly certain that I will have several hours where I do not have to worry about soiling carpets or leaving solid waste for someone to step in and track through the house. She can be stubborn, oh yes, and we do have accidents if I do not take her out at scheduled intervals, but I will NOT take her back into the house until she has performed. She gets a small 2 calorie treat immediately after producing. (Sometimes I think she just squats and does nothing just so a treat will be forthcoming,) but I have learned to bend over and carefully examine the chosen spot for evidence that she has actually done what she is supposed to do on potty breaks.