Newly adopted

caryn

Hi, i recently adopted an adult mini long hair and have named her Lucy. She was a puppy mill or backyard breeder dog. She is awesome and is now my pal! Problem is while she has not peed inside, she has pooped. I take her out about a million times every day but she usually only pees/poops once in a 24 hr period. Is this normal?

tiffanybsan

Congrats on your baby! Welcome to DT :) How many times a day to you take her out to do her business? Is she on a schedule?

caryn

Hi Tiffany, thanks for responding to my post. Lucy is approx 6 yrs old and I take her out about 5-6 times a day. After meals and exercise & whenever she is up and about, lol.
I had her spayed 3 days ago and she is still just peeing 1-2x a day. Pooping in the house if unattended, despite however many times I take her out.

Penny

I have adopted adults and it takes time for them to get used to their surroundings and understand what is required of them. Be as patient as you can and have a yummy reward when she potties where you want her to.

I hope you've got some pics of her to share with us.

Luckystar1013

it took my doxie about 2 months to know that he needs to potty outside. He still has accidents sometimes when left alone while we are at work. We got him an indoor litter box which looks like grass and he used it the first day we had it. We just placed it in the spot he liked to potty inside and now he goes on the grass instead.