New Puppy

KentNick

Hi all,

I'm new to owning a daxi and the forum but need some help/advice with my 9 week old.

I picked up my puppy yesterday and the breeder gave me some Beta dry food (chicken) which she says he's been eating but since I got him home he won't touch it, I spoke to the breeder and she advised on giving him some small pieces of boiled chicken which he scoffed down in seconds but he is still not interested in the dry mix.

What options do I have? Keep persevering with the dry mix? Feed him boiled chicken whilst still offering the dry mix? Or change brand/taste of dry mix?

His stools have been quite loose too if that helps with any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Hunter's Parade

She may be just stressed,give her some time,but that loose stool doesn't go away you should take her to the vet.
Was that a responsible breeder,you got her from?Is she dewormed,vaccinated?
If she has been eating this mix you shouldn't change it in a blink,it will upset her tummy,if you want to change the brand do it slowly mix the new brand with the old one at least for week.First ad the new one just a little,next day a little more and so on.Maybe you can mix the dry food with chicken broth,let it get softer and see if she will eat it that way.You could mix it with canned food or with that boiled chicken.If you will offer her chicken every time she refuses to eat her kibble you will spoil her very fast and you will be forced to dance around her,offering all kind of food, for all her live.No one has ever died in front of full bowl.If she doesn't eat,maybe she's just not hungry.Let the bowl stay for 20 minutes,if she doesn't eat,take it away and give THE SAME next time.She will eat, if she will be hungry.

GJBain

She may be just stressed,give her some time,but that loose stool doesn't go away you should take her to the vet.
Was that a responsible breeder,you got her from?Is she dewormed,vaccinated?
If she has been eating this mix you shouldn't change it in a blink,it will upset her tummy,if you want to change the brand do it slowly mix the new brand with the old one at least for week.First ad the new one just a little,next day a little more and so on.Maybe you can mix the dry food with chicken broth,let it get softer and see if she will eat it that way.You could mix it with canned food or with that boiled chicken.If you will offer her chicken every time she refuses to eat her kibble you will spoil her very fast and you will be forced to dance around her,offering all kind of food, for all her live.No one has ever died in front of full bowl.If she doesn't eat,maybe she's just not hungry.Let the bowl stay for 20 minutes,if she doesn't eat,take it away and give THE SAME next time.She will eat, if she will be hungry.
Very good response and my thoughts exactly.

Penny

Since you just got her, it is most likely nerves.
How is she doing today?

I would continue with the dry kibble and keep in touch with the breeder. If they are a good breeder they will want to know that she's settled in and doing well.

I hope you can figure out how to post photos of her soon. We LOVE puppy photos!! What kind of coat and color is she?