New member from Tennessee

cmharris21

Hello all...
New to the site, and I've been browsing around and I must say I'm not sure if this site is a good fit for me or not. I'm strongly opposed to "small hobby breeders" and "back yard breeders" and there seems to be many people on here who are very open that they do that. hmmm....

Anyways, I have two dachshunds (one a miniature, one a standard) and a 19 week great dane pup.

Steph

There's also many of us who are just enthusiastic owners and we turn to each other for advice. I mean who better to ask then someone who owns the same breed that you do? Some of us also have a wide array of knowledge on dogs in general from straight up obedience training to events that our little hot dogs can compete in. (My boy is going into his first Earth dog trial in May)

Have a look around, enjoy your stay and if in the end you don't want to stay with us, it was great to have you :)

Inkeri

Hello and welcome! :)
How are your small grownups getting along with the big pup? I have standard longhaired dachshund and I just rescued a german shepard-mix (4-5months old) on thursday. They're getting along very well, althoug the playing sometimes lookes quite rough... But there's no whining, only more playing, so i suppose there's nothing to worry about. :)
I adopted from Russia, because we don't have many pups to rescue in Finland...

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Welcome! I am also strongly against breeding dogs for less than bettering the breed. I rescue, and more than that, I rescue the dogs that come from terrible breeding. People need to understand what breeding is doing to our pets. 5 million dogs and cats are euth'd every year in the United States alone (I'm not sure of the stats here in Canada) If people would STOP buying from backyard breeders and puppymills, then our dogs would have a much better chance at survival.

And if everyone who bred was an expert, only interested in breeding happy, healthy dogs, we wouldn't have dogs like my two. (deaf and sight impaired Double Dapples)

cmharris21

Yes I agree it is important to have a support system no matter what, so I may stick around for that reason. But don't expect me to always bite my tongue at unethical breeders. :)

Oh I have made my fair share of mistakes. My two dachshunds were BYB pups before I knew better. My dane pup is a rescue.

Here are a few pictures. I apologize in advance if the sizing is off. Photobucket and I do not get along!

Hadley, my sweet long haired princess. She will be 9 months April 4.

Harley, my handsome little mini. He just had his 1st birthday on March 19.

Jackson (my 19 week Merle dane rescue) with his brother Harley

cmharris21

Hello and welcome! :)
How are your small grownups getting along with the big pup? I have standard longhaired dachshund and I just rescued a german shepard-mix (4-5months old) on thursday. They're getting along very well, althoug the playing sometimes lookes quite rough... But there's no whining, only more playing, so i suppose there's nothing to worry about. :)
I adopted from Russia, because we don't have many pups to rescue in Finland...
My little princess Hadley (9 mo) rules the house. She does not let my dane pup get out of line at all!! I still have to supervise, because he gets too excited some times, but for the most part, he tries to be gentle.

Steph

Haha, your little girl sounds like my boy. From the day he walked in the door at 8 wks of age, he took over (he's 9 mo too). He "owns" my other two boys - Hermes and Hercules (Shih tzu/schnauzer/poodle mix) so I have given him the nickname "King Weenie" LOL

DeafDogs

Alberta Region Moderator
Ha ha! Mouse is the same! she keeps my boys in line too :) You can see the size difference between her and Oliver, yet Oliver and Boo bow to her every whim :p she can even steal food from Ollie, without retaliation, yet he would be seriously upset if any other dog attempted it :) And if she wants to play, he plays (he cant say no), but if she doesn't feel like playing Oliver respects that. She has everyone wrapped around her little paw :)