Nervous doxie

MIDSH

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a 2 1/2 year old doxie, Mocha. I bought her from a breeder and have had her since she was weaned. She was very easy to potty train and never has accidents. She is sweet, never bites or chews up things and loves everyone who comes into my home. My problem is that she is sooooo hyper! She tinkles whenever someone comes to the door. She barks at every little noise (noises even I can't hear). She isn't happy in a car (shakes all over) and can never just chill. She rarely can even stay still long enough to sit on my lap and I have tried and tried to get her to sleep with me, but when I put her on the bed, she just runs around like a nut until I finally have to put her back on the floor. When it's bed time, I put her in her crate, cover her with her blanket and cover the crate with a blanket and she is very happy for the entire night. I am 70 years old and live in a 2nd floor condo. I must confess that I don't take her out much--she doesn't walk well on a leash and when we do go for a walk it has to be late at night when no other people or pets are around because if she sees other people or pets, she gets very excited and barks and shakes. She has a puppy treadmill that I use quite often for her and she likes that. When she was younger, I thought her behavior was just because she was a puppy, but now that she is 2 1/2, I can no longer use that as an excuse. Any suggestions?

cctumby

I have a 2~3 year old dachshund that is neurotic and hyper as well. My vet said that dachshunds are a high energy breed even though they are small. Hope came from a puppy mill and was told she was a very shy timid dachshund. Ha ha fast forward 5 months she wants to attack and bark at everything on walks. It's SO embarrassing! I don't walk her very much because it makes her more nervous and hyper. When I do walk her I have found if I carry a squirt/spray bottle when she starts to go crazy barking at a dog or person I give her one squirt and boy does that work like a charm. She's usually quiet the rest of the walk. I use the squirt bottle in the house too. She likes to bark randomly and is on edge. It works inside too. As far as sleeping in the bed if she doesn't like it then let her sleep in the crate. I don't see anything wrong with it. She knows that is a place where she feels secure and comfortable. For getting some of the energy out in the condo I used to play "ball" with my first doxie. She loved it and would chase them. I would use the small plastic squeaky ones. I would throw 5-8 of them at a time and she would have fun chasing them around. Another game I play with my doxies is hide and seek. They love when I hide and call their names . They get the zoomies and wear themselves out. Hope this helps!